Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas, everyone!

My family and I are in the oft-maligned habit of opening our presents Christmas eve. Just refer to Kevin Costner's soliloquy as Crash Davis in the movie, Bull Durham. "...I believe in opening my presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas eve..."

I'm not sure why we do it this way. I guess it's because it was always that way in my family. My parents used to just send us out of the room. There would be a lot of noise and some "Ho Ho Ho"ing and voila! Instant Christmas!

Now, I do remember one year when I was four, waking up in the middle of the night Christmas Eve (that year we were waiting til Christmas morning for some reason) to the sound of clattering in the living room. I went to tell my mother, and then I ran into the living room. Dad must have been flipping out, trying to outmaneuver me as I scurried out there. The lights were lit up on the Christmas tree, the milk glass was drained and the cookie plate was just a smattering of crumbs. There were several nicely wrapped boxes under the tree. I was still the baby of the family at that time. I know my eyes were like saucers. Though I don't remember all of the gifts I got that year, I do remember getting one of those big walking dolls. I never got her to cooperate fully, but it was still pretty cool.

I suppose, now that I retell that story, I could have been to blame for why we changed to opening the presents on Christmas eve. That Christmas when I was four, I could not be convinced to go back to bed without a long discussion. Santa left me a personal note that year. I realized later that it was my dad's handwriting, which was very distinctive with its large, rounded initial caps and speedy, forward-tilted scrawl. I tried the same thing with my kids and the tooth fairy. I wrote very, very small noted that I included with the money for the teeth. It never fooled my daughter. She never believed in a thing. Still doesn't.

I have no idea what she's doing this Christmas. Once again, we're on an "off again" cycle. We took care of most of her bills for the last 6 months or so, so I don't know what she'll do now. I guess it's up to her. Maybe this is what happens when you believe in nothing.

When my son gets home from his job at Starbucks, we'll have a special steak dinner I'm making, and then we'll open presents. I think he'll like what's all wrapped up for him. I'm sure I'll like what he got me. I'm hoping my daughter is safe and warm this night.

Merry Christmas, all....Peace - D

1 comment:

Karma said...

Hi Honey,
I guess that you have news... some sort of news there... so it's better than not knowing anything!! You'll just have to keep working at finding out what it is and I'll keep hoping for it to be something simple and fixable for you.

Sorry to hear that you are "off" with your daughter again. My brother finally took the opportunity to speak with my Dad at Christmas after a whole year of him shunning my Dad due to their blow-up last Christmas. Baby steps is what it takes and sometimes that involves falling down too.

Remind me again why I'm in a fever to have a child?! [Sigh]

Sending you good thoughts and hoping for a return to health for you.
HUGS!!!