Thursday, January 24, 2008

The danger of speculation

Everyone wants to know what happened to Heath Ledger.

There is wild speculation everywhere I turn. He killed himself. He didn't kill himself; it was an accidental overdose. He was on anti-anxiety meds. He was on sleeping pills. He had Zoloft. Who doesn't these days? We're all drugged, or maybe that's just me. Maybe I just happen to know a lot of people who are completely stressed out by the news, the polls, the commutes, the information overload, and the struggle to keep up. Maybe I just know a lot of people who, unlike Tom Cruise, believe in better living through chemistry.

What do I think happened to Heath? Well, I think he probably had a whole lot of stress and responsibility for a 28 year old guy. I think he was depressed that he and his baby's mama couldn't work it out. I think he had just finished a grueling movie and was working on another. I think maybe he either succumbed to the stress - maybe a silent heart attack? or perhaps it was truly an accidental overdose. Maybe he forgot the last time he took a Xanax and took another. Maybe he had a drink a little earlier and the alcohol made the mixture toxic. Whatever happened, the plain truth is that he's gone. And I will be as sad while I watch "Dark Knight" as I was when I watched "The Crow" after Brandon Lee was gone. I'll always miss River Phoenix, though he was hell-bent for destruction. Does anyone every remember him anymore? I still do. My handle, Riverpoet, which I've used forever, comes partly from him. Watch Stand by Me or My Own Private Idaho. You'll see what a loss the entertainment world suffered there.

As the political pundits have learned of late, it's dangerous to speculate on why Heath died or on anything else of any import. Let the facts be assembled. Let the real news come through.

Meanwhile, it's still a sad time for entertainment. Why do these folks burn so brightly only to be snuffed out early? He'll be missed. By us, most certainly by Matilda, and probably by Michelle. Maybe she had hopes of rekindling things. Maybe he did, too. Now it's simply too late.

Hug those you love.

Peace - D

1 comment:

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Whatever did happen, I mourn for his little girl who will never know her very talented father!