Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Mixed Bag

Insomnia
Last night I went to bed early. My whole body was so tired. And here it is 4:30 in the morning and I'm writing to you. I warn you it's a choppy post. I am dragging myself toward my little mini-vacation coming up, and I dearly need it.

I'm sure I'll go back to sleep in just a bit. It will feel decadent in a way, as though I'm one of the idle, self-indulgent people of the world who can sleep when she feels like it. Aaah.

My sleep problems date back to 1993. Seattle. Has it really been that long? Geez. No wonder I'm tired.

Prayers Welcome
I know that part of it is worry. I found out my daughter (24) is in the hospital with two blood clots. She has a hereditary clotting disorder that makes her blood particularly sticky. She has lupus. And she has also done a number on her body by her own hand. She's not a healthy person. Looks like she is going to be on Coumadin the rest of her life. Maybe once they get all of this sorted out, she'll be able to work. I dearly hope so. It's beginning to look like she may have to move back in with us, which won't make for a happy environment here. We are overcrowded as it is, and our relationship hasn't been the easiest, which is putting it mildly.

Weather and Primaries
There is snow on the ground outside. Not much. Greeeeeat. It's primary day here in MD, and I have to get out there at some point to cast my vote. We're due for more snow and ice. Fortunately, my son will be driving us both to the polling place around lunch-time. It does my heart good to know that my son takes his right to vote seriously, even in the primaries. My first vote was the year I turned 18 - a presidential election. It is an amazing thing to know that your voice is heard at the highest levels of government. That voice, when added to others, makes a difference, no matter what anyone says. Exercise your constitutional right! Vote! Especially if you are a woman. Especially if you are black. Make sure the government knows that you still appreciate the fact that once upon a time, those of your racial or gender persuasion had no right to vote. Take your rights seriously now.

Back to the Pillow
I still have time to grab at least 40 winks before the day begins, so I'm going to try it. Hopefully I'll have something more interesting or creative to write later. Right now, I'm feeling a tad bit punchy. As usual, life is making me feel like my lovely float down the stream on an inner tube just turned into a battle to keep from going over the falls!

Peace - D

1 comment:

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Get sleep, I'm thinking of your daughter, and hope your voting goes well! Thinking of you all!

Love, Me :-)