Monday, February 25, 2008

Thoughts on Self-Promotion

That's right folks. The weekend is over. My personal crusade for five-day weekends and two-day work weeks never really got off the ground. Those of us who really wanted it to take off were simply too lazy to make it happen. Sorry.

Yesterday I got nothing done. Nothing. No writing. No poetry. No housework. I always plan to do it, but things get in the way. Yesterday's thing was a trip to the ER with my daughter. She is in the hospital now with some stomach thing. Given her history, we're really hoping it's nothing, but that may be unrealistic.

When I got home last night (before part 3 of Pride & Prejudice started on PBS), I did some blog diving. I've determined that

1) Most blog templates are way cooler than mine
2) Most bloggers have a tighter focus than I do
3) Most bloggers have all kinds of additional things on their sites that seem to indicate membership in blog communities of a sort

I am as lousy at self-promotion online as I am with my other writing. I don't know if it's a matter of know-how, laziness, or insecurity. (What if I'm not good enough and someone discovers that?)

It has given me much food for thought today, and I'd be interested to hear about what other people are doing to make their presence known and read. Comment!

Peace - D

3 comments:

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

You know, I have the Blog Chicks blog roll on my site just to maybe pull traffic my way. That how NATUI and I found one another. And? I explore other blogs and comment on them, which draws people to my blog.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I was just about to write the same thing that CMGD did! LOL Get on a few blogrolls like Blogs By Women or Blogger Chicks. It is also one of the reasons I do Wordless Wednesday. Besides the fact that I like posting and viewing groovy pictures, it helps drum up a lot of traffic if you take the time on Wednesday to visit a few of those blogs.

Momma said...

Notice that I added BlogRolling to my site. I'm adding sites as I find them, so hopefully that will help. Nothing about blogging comes easily, does it? :-)