Monday, March 24, 2008

Three Rings and No Clowns

Admittedly, this morning's blog was less than inspired. It wasn't my usual post, but I really did find the stories funny and worth sharing. I've noticed a slowdown - not just on my blog - of posting and commenting, probably because of Easter. We don't really celebrate around here, although it would have been fun to dye some eggs and rip the ears off of some chocolate bunnies. In fact, last night hubby and I relaxed by talking about past Easter baskets and the best way to dye eggs.

One of the things I love about being married to someone my own age is that we can relate to each other's pasts. We both loved the Monkees, the Banana Splits, the Little Rascals, Midnight Special, Monty Python's Flying Circus (before it was released on DVD, thank you) and the early days of Saturday Night Live. We both loved the Carol Burnett Show, Sonny & Cher, Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show, the original run of Gilligan's Island, and the Flintstones. When the dog came in with his contraband rock from the garden and I said, "We should have named him Rock Quarry," my husband knew exactly what I was talking about. No explanation necessary.

I wonder sometimes how people stand being married to someone who is a great deal older or a great deal younger than they are. How do you have a conversation? Or maybe I've gotten so used to not having to explain myself that I take it for granted (and wouldn't want it any other way).

That isn't what I sat down to write. I meant to sit down and tell you the story about my day, but it wasn't all that interesting. I merely sat for a long time in an orthopedist's office with my son while we found out that his injury was worse than they said at the ER, that if it had happened to his dominant hand, we'd be talking surgery. As it is, they're doing another set of X-rays next Thursday to determine if the cast alone with suffice. He is in a splint that goes up past his elbow now. Lucky kid.

I was also going to say that my daughter won't have to have surgery. She'll be coming home tomorrow evening. They also didn't do the portacath. Don't know why. Tired of asking and not getting answers that make any sense. I just have to leave it to her to deal with her doctors.

It is definitely a circus around here, but there are no clowns. We don't like the bloody things, especially since seeing Poltergeist and It. Our circus is populated with two silly English Bulldogs and five - count 'em - five cats (only two of them belong to my husband and I...hopefully the others will move out with the kids).

But you know, these animals are a lot of fun. They live in the present, they are joyful, they are good listeners, and they don't eat all the ice cream. So what if it's a circus around here? As long as the clowns stay away, I'm okay with that.

Have a lovely evening - Peace - D

7 comments:

Not Afraid to Use It said...

OMG. Clowns are evil. Period.

Daryl E said...

I think I am also your age .. I remember all those things as well .. I am going to link you on my blog, ok?

Thanks for stopping by .. its nice to get to know you .. hope your kids are okay'er soon!

Suldog said...

Animals. It's a great gift to be able to live in the present. Or is it a great present to be able to live in the gift? Something like that.

Thanks for stopping by at my place. I'll be back.

Momma said...

NATUI - Oh, I hate the little buggers. There were a bunch of 'em on the Today Show this morning. My kids never had to sit through circuses because they give me (and hubby) the creeps. Who goes into that line of work anyway??

Daryl E - Link away! Glad you enjoyed the post.

Suldog - I enjoyed your blog, and I'll be back. I love a good piece of writing.

Peace - D

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

OMG! I friggin' hate clowns. I think many people, post-Poltergeist, hate them. And I agree that it's nice to have generational things to talk about with your spouse. Ty-man and I get all geeky with Star Wars/Trek anything. Much fun!

Childlife said...

Oh, I'm so sorry your family has been going through medical woes too! I know the 'three ring circus' bit all to well. It wasn't but a couple of years ago that our family had a record 10 ER visits in one year... you have my most heartfelt sympathies and prayers that things will start looking up soon.

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement at my place through my daughter's recent CVS episode. I had been meaning to come over and say 'hi' and things only just now have started getting back to a more typical routine around here. Your thoughtful words were a ray of sunshine over the past week, and I thank you!

I hope your son doesn't have to have surgery and that your leg starts doing better.

Michelle @ In The Life Of A Child

Momma said...

CMGD - I wonder if there are any games out there in which you pick off clowns with a shotgun. What a great relaxation that would be for those of us who suffer from coulrophobia!

Michelle - Bless you, sweetie. I'm so glad you and your family are having a lull from this very trying condition your daughter has. You have my prayers and good wishes - Peace - D