Thursday, March 6, 2008

Tomorrow is the Big Day

...in my going gray voyage. I have an appointment with a new stylist (at the same salon) who specializes in aging, coarse/curly hair. She also works Saturdays, which my old stylist no longer does. Plus my old stylist was doing less and less of what I wanted her to do and my hair was suffering for it. She kept wanting me to use a flat iron. I tried, and it seems to have damaged my hair more. Plus I kind of believe in embracing what God gave you.

I recently went through a horrible bout of itching that led me to see my internist, then my neurologist, then a dermatologist, and next up will be an allergist. Thankfully, the itch has all but subsided, though, because I am off of the drug, Lyrica. It seems to have been the cause, and it took a couple of weeks to completely get out of my system. It was enough of a scare, having to have chemical patch testing to see if I was allergic to some substance in my environment (including hair dye) that I resolved to try going au naturel (hair-wise, anyway). I am not officially allergic to hair dye, but like I said, it was a scare. I want to see if I can get off the hair dye horse.

This isn't going to be easy. As you can see on my profile, I was a blonde child. Later, my hair went darker. It became almost a chestnut color and would become dark auburn in the sun. I went through bouts of bleaching it - either by frosting it or by bleaching it all over. I think I looked good as a blonde. However, bleach really messes with aging hair. I ended up going to a dark auburn. I have used that color for years now and get lots of compliments on my hair - or I did until it started getting a little more damaged from the styling.

Normally I have all of this inflicted on me at the salon. I'm a little nervous about my appointment tomorrow, in which they are going to pull through some silver highlights to try to allow my natural gray to blend in. Right now I have auburn hair but gray roots. I can't keep going around like this.

My greatest fear is that I won't be able to stand how washed out I look with the gray. It's not cheap or easy to get your hair done at the salon. Tomorrow will set me back enough to have bought a new jacket and jewelry at Chico's, enough to have my car detailed. What if I hate it? What if I don't have a good rapport with the new stylist? Could she really be any worse for my hair than the last one, though? Probably not. Will I regret trying this experiment? Well, maybe. But I don't want to be one of those women who has crayon red hair at age 80, thinking it makes her look younger. Honey, the face always begins to tell on you (unless you have an excellent plastic surgeon and lots of money). And then, as a friend of mine once pointed out, the eyes will tell.

Maybe...if I'm brave...I'll put before and after pics on here tomorrow to let you see how it went.

Peace - D

3 comments:

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Good for you for trying something new! You'd better be posting before and after pictures!!!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

OK, you sooooo need to post pictures. At the tender age of 36, I'm seeing so many gray roots in my brown and I'm wondering if I should go natural and how I would do that.

Yeah! Glad you're going through with it, hon!

Momma said...

Okay, okay. I had hubby take before pics, and I swear I'll get an after pic, too. It's very subtle, and I know it is going to be just fine.

Peace - D