Sunday, March 16, 2008

Weekend Wandering

This evening's post comes courtesy of David over at authorblog:

authorblog: Weekend Wandering

He poses the question: Do you have an embarrassing relative?

I noticed that many of the respondents on his blog could not answer the question on their own blogs because it might embarrass said embarrassing relative. I am fortunate in that most of my family doesn't read my blog, and if they do someday read this obscure little post and fret over it, I imagine they will get past it. May I add preemptively that I have often been the embarrassing little sister, the embarrassing daughter, and the embarrassing Mom? I will take full credit for having my eccentricities and oddness, and I love all of it. My feeling is that I must be who I am, just as the following relatives must be who they are:

My oldest brother is the winner and is definitely not for the faint of heart. When he moved out to live with us (to find an East coast job) I brought him along to a costume party at a friend's house. He got into the spirit of it and put on a clown nose and let me paint up his face. I was a vampire, as I remember, in full regalia. Embarrassing enough? No? Well, he went around telling my friends all evening that he had wanted to wear nothing but roller skates and come as a pull toy. When bawdy humor doesn't work, he resorts to puns involving barnyard animals. It would behoove you to know that, hyuk, hyuk.

I have a story about my daughter and a game of charades (and she was old enough to know better), but I'm sorry. I can't write about it here. It was far TOO embarrassing.

I have relatives who are addicted to substances. That is embarrassing, but only if I get dragged into their drama, which I try not to do. Besides, that is more sad than embarrassing. (We have annual contests for the black sheep award in my family each year).

I have hillbilly cousins. They will never read this because they are not "into" computers. The first time in memory that I visited their house, my mother had to shoo the chicken out of the open window of the bathroom so that she could make my little five-year-old butt connect with the toilet seat. Of course, she had to render the bathroom free of chicken dung first. I begged them to never take me back there.

Guess what we ate for lunch that day?

Yep. Fried chicken. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't the pisspot chicken.

Peace - D

6 comments:

david mcmahon said...

I absolutely need to meet your eldest brother!

PS: I think I might be the embarrassing relative in my family!

Daryl E said...

Wonderful post ... thanks for stopping by and leaving me that encouraging comment .. :)

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh, wow. My most embarrassing relative. Obviously it's a relative who embarrasses me or makes me uncomfortable directly or indirectly.

Dad's family - My cousin Lollie. She's an idiot and that's all I can say 'bout that.

Mom's family - Nobody, really. They're all normal, so that means I'm probably the embarrassment.

Ty-man's family - His cousin K. She's a theater major, and therefore very dramatic about everything. Sheesh.

Momma said...

David - ah, how could that be? You are the "famous" one, I'd wager!

Daryl E - Love your blog; thanks for visiting mine!

CMGD - Honey, in the South none of our relatives are without their embarrassing traits. My hubby is still laughing about Clorine and the whole Penny's leg incident. :-)

Peace - D

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee, your brother sounds fab. I might do this question. Some of my family do read, but they are not embarrassing. And we do have the 'black sheep', but she's a well meaning black sheep. :D

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Holy moly! Trying to find the most embarrassing relative, that will take some doing...