Sunday, March 16, 2008

Write Your Life in Six Words

A book recently came out called Not Quite What I Was Planning (Harper Perennial, 2008), which is a compilation of tiny memoirs of known and unknown writers, their lives summed up in six words. SMITH magazine posed the challenge to their readers and got a flood of responses, as reported to The New Yorker, which is where I heard about the book. I thought, "Wow, could I do this?"

So I took the challenge, but I couldn't decide. Here are my best efforts. What can you come up with?
  • Raised Southern, married Yank, moved North.
  • Living someone else's life, I'm sure.
  • Switched at birth with a millionaire.
  • Writing my life away while smiling.
  • Poised on the brink of greatness.
Of course, the title of the book could pretty much sum up my life, too. Not quite what I was planning.

Peace - D

2 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Absolutely brilliant!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Hmmmmm, let's see.

"Hillbilly geek, mother of three, whew!"

"Scuba diving mother who easily frazzles."

"No, really! I see dead people!"

Yeah, one of those three! :-)