Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Blog as a Weapon

An article in the New York Times tells us that When the Ex Blogs, the Dirtiest Laundry is Aired. It details some divorces that have gone public through the blogs, including one between Mr. and Mrs. Smith in which she Vlogs her assertions against him. Another blog, DivorcingDaze.com, has podcasts of a soon-to-be-divorced woman chatting with her best friend over a glass of wine about the topic of the day (I assume that means the topic is the ex-husband...I haven't gone there). That's pretty extreme I think. Many of us inject our personal lives into our blogs, but using a blog to hurt someone, even a cheating ex-husband, is an abuse of power, I think.

Imagine what would have happened if any of the wives of Henry VIII had had a blog. Surely they would have all been too afraid of the axe to be honest in their tales about him, but pretend they weren't afraid of it.

Katherine of Aragon:
Blog Name: Abandoned Virgin
"I married him when he was nothing more than a child. I was his first. You should have seen how lousy he was in the sack in the beginning! Now, of course, he has some skills and is using those skills on everyone but the barnyard animals. I'm surprised the pope will even take messages from him!"

Anne Boleyn:
Blog Name: He's Losing His Head!
"I think he wanted me more when I was holding out on him. Now I'm just a brood mare to him, and he's stupid enough to think that it's all my fault we had a girl!"

Jane Seymour:
Blog Name: Not Plain Jane
"Notice - Husband MIA. I'm in my 2nd day of labour and he is off God-knows-where, probably lifting skirts. If found, please send him to my chambers -- after giving him a good sock in the jaw from me."

Anne of Cleves:
Blog Name: Cleve Not to Me
"I got the better end of the bargain. He is back in the castle chasing young girls around, while I get to sleep on clean sheets that don't smell of his sweat and stinking wound."

Katherine Howard:
Blog Name: Sleeping with a Big Fat King
"My uncle made me do it, you know. All I wanted was pretty dresses, and now I'm stuck in the Tower with some drab ones. I wonder what they plan to do with me?"

Catherine Parr:
Blog Name: I'm a Survivor
"He won't be the first husband I've buried, and he won't be the last. I think they all underestimate my prowess!"

And of course if Henry had had a blog, he would have had a different opinion each day, arguing against himself, spouting his wildly speculative beliefs on what God wanted, and making up the rules as he went along. Don't you think so?

They say that 1 in 10 people now have a blog and that many of us talk about our personal lives. That's certainly true with me to a point. I have tried to get further from diary and further toward memoir and essay. I think that's more interesting. As far as the divorce blogs go, I hope I never have occasion to write one. I've been married 25 years, and I don't plan to do it again. I expect we'll grow old together and that he won't have me beheaded. :-)

Peace - D

6 comments:

Akelamalu said...

That's amazing, I love it - what you wrote and the idea of Henry's wives having blogs!

Daryl E said...

I love this .. I think you have nailed each ex on their now beheaded or divorced or dead heads ..

Married almost 30 yrs and I dont plan on ever doing it again .. hear that, Husband?

Sandy said...

I just can't imagine airing "dirty laundry" like that. What a shame people don't have any tact. And how about that ding bat that aired her "dirty laundry" on YouTube? She better hope her soon-to-be ex-husband's lawyer doesn't see that!

Momma said...

Akela - Thank you! (taking a bow...)

Daryl - It was a fun little exercise. And I hope neither of us ever has to do another marriage! Congrats on 30 years!

Sandy - If you look at the article I linked to, they have a link to the YouTube video that woman put out there. I can't believe anyone would do that, but that again...it's a lot like reality TV!

Peace - D

Josie said...

Momma, that's wonderful. I try to keep my blog from being too personal, as well, but I like to be transparent. So everyone knows who I am (unfortunately) but they actually know very little about me personally. But I think it is hitting below the belt to blog negatively about other people. I have never gone in for airing dirty laundry.

Blogging should be enjoyable, right?

Jennifer H said...

This was excellent. My favorite may be Anne of Cleves.