Friday, April 11, 2008

It's Playoff Season

And since I can't afford - or should I say won't pay - the excessive prices being asked for playoff tickets, I'm parked in front of the television set watching the first game of the quarter-finals for the Washington Capitals.

I never got into hockey until moving to Washington. Growing up in Houston, we weren't exposed to hockey too much, though my brothers remember going to Aeros games, when they were the hockey team there. When we lived in North Carolina, the closest team was in Raleigh, which was a three-hour drive away. But Washington has football, hockey, basketball, and now soccer and baseball, too. It's turning into quite the sports town.

We've been to several hockey games as a family. It's something we really enjoy. And at least one of my blogger friends (shout out NATUI!) may join us at some point for a game. Don't know if either of us can pay these playoff prices, but there's always next season!

Haven't gone to a football game yet, but the Nationals (our baseball team) just moved into their new stadium in SE Washington. Our son works for a startup tech company in Rockville. One of the perks he gets is occasional free tickets to the baseball game. So Monday, father and son went down to the ballpark for a game. Not just any old seats, either. They were just off the left-handed batter's box, and their tickets included $35 worth of food each. They got to eat in the club and use the private restrooms in the box. Hubby caught a foul ball and creamed his knee against a concrete step in the process. (Bruised his kneecap badly and has a nasty cut!) On the way home, he somehow lost the ball - probably in the Metro - but he had a story to tell (and yes, I saw him on television).

Baseball and football are the big sports in the South, but I have to tell you, I love me some hockey! If we ever move away from here, I'll miss being able to catch a game. A rousing game of hockey makes life worth living.

The intermission's over. Gotta get back to the game. LET'S GO CAPS!!!!

Peace - D

3 comments:

Not Afraid to Use It said...

So I guess you are totally stoked that they just won 5-4! If they do go to Stanley Cup, we'll just have to have a viewing party. Nothing like jumping up and down on the sofas and screaming at the TV with friends! LOL

Momma said...

Good morning!

YES, I am stoked about their win last night. What a comeback after that disastrous second period! And I am more than okay with a Stanley cup party! The way they are playing right now, they may just get there!

Peace - D

Shrinky said...

It's soccer, soccer, soccer over here at our house, oh and then Cricket, cricket cricket, uless it's rugby, rugby, rugby..

Me? I love it - it's the only time I get to slope off alone to a quiet corner, clutching my laptop to induldge in complete blissful peace! (Wink)