Monday, May 19, 2008

Another Year Over...and a New One Just Begun

Okay, okay. I know that Lennon song was meant for New Year's and Christmas holidays, but why not celebrate a rollover of the ol' human odometer once a year? That's right, folks. Today is my birthday, and I am 46. Quarenta y seis.


A brief history: I was born fifth of six to my parents (their first child died within a couple of days of birth, so for all practical reasons, I was to be the fourth living child, the middle daughter) in 1962 in the small town of Douglas, Georgia. When I was 2 1/2, we moved to Houston, which was to become my "real" hometown, as far as I was concerned. Like most people, I'm from many places. I won't prattle on.

Birthday cakes were always homemade in our home, but we don't bake much around here anymore. Hubby doesn't bake at all, but I wanted a birthday cake. So we grabbed one while we were out for coffee, conversation, and last minute things at the store. He seemed to be moving rather slowly, and I wanted to get home. When we finally walked in the door, I smelled Italian food. I thought, "Oh great! The Boy is eating a late snack, so he'll want dinner much later!" I didn't want to be cooking at seven o'clock on a Sunday night.

When I got upstairs and saw the hustle and bustle going on in the kitchen, I got it. The Boy was cooking dinner--a baked pasta dish and steamed broccoli. Mmmmmm. I'm so lucky. I have a great family! The meal was delicious, and we munched on birthday cake while we watched "Into the Wild." Admittedly a sad movie to watch when one is celebrating, but we had all wanted to see it when it came out and never got to. It was beautifully made, but wow...so sad.

I've gotten lots of cards, the wonderful gift of a delicious meal, and a shopping spree as my gift. I got to shop all afternoon - and into the evening - Saturday, picking up a few new things for Spring/Summer while the men in my life hung out and drank coffee and chatted. I didn't buy a lot, but it was GREAT. I loved just going from rack to rack, trying things on, and finding a few good pieces for the wardrobe. Nice.

And one last birthday gift? I am going to have to call my eye doctor today. I need progressive lenses. That seems to be the problem with the new glasses. I was able to see distance just fine, but when trying to work on the computer, I was getting frustrated and couldn't find a good way to position the glasses so that I could see the screen. Hubby suggested that I put my reading glasses on over the regular glasses. Um...yeah. I looked really funny, but guess what? I could see the screen perfectly. *sigh* It's official. I'm over the hill.

But on the other side of that hill? It's just as beautiful as it is where I've already been. I'm happy for another birthday. I'm still here!

Peace - D

15 comments:

Maggie May said...

Well, How about that! We both share the same birthday! Many Happy Returns! Gosh you are in your forties. I am old enough to be your Mum!
Yesterday, I cracked open a bottle of wine with my family & opened all the cards early! We shared a meal together.
I am home between my two jobs now & will be working late tonight, so I might get a take away later. We live very close to shops & restaurants etc.
Any way, enjoy the rest of your day!

Daryl said...

Happy Birthday Doris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and many many many more .. happy, healthy ones!

You are such a kid!

:-Daryl

highlander1463 said...

Happy Birthday babe...

-P

the mother of this lot said...

Hi Momma! Just called to say thanks for visiting - and it's your birthday! Hope it was a good one!

(By the way, I have had that birthday cake pic saved for months to use when it's The Fixer's birthday 'cos it's got 13 candles on it. Please don't think I pinched it!!)

Akelamalu said...

46? You're still young m'dear.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND MANY MORE x

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Happy Birthday, sweetie! I'm glad you had a great celebration! Smooches!

david mcmahon said...

Have a wonderful day and a great year.

Momma said...

Maggie - I hope that your birthday was wonderful, too!

Daryl - Oh, I LOVE hearing that I'm a kid! :-)

highlander - Thanks, babe. I love the cards, especially the one from the dogs!

MOTL - It's a great photo, isn't it? I tried to find one that looked as thought it were going to burn down the house, but I couldn't find anything more suitable than this.

Akela - Thanks! I guess 46 isn't so bad, huh?

CMGD - Right back at ya! I'm still recovering from my cake sugar coma!

David - Thank you so much! And thanks for all you've done for the publicity of my blog!

Peace - D

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Sorry we could ring you in in person, but lots of love and birthday cheer from your neighbors to the south. I hope you get glasses you LOVE, and that work. :)

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! How did I miss this post? Was I in MOntreal? I can't find the date anywhere, oh well, I do hope you enjoyed your birthday, it certainly sounds wonderful; you were pampered and spoiled...Good!

I hope the upcoming year is a terrific one for you, and for your family and for your dogs...all good wishes and blessings,

Regards,
Lavinia

San said...

Happy Birthday, dear Doris. I'm sorry I'm getting around after the fact.

Your family IS wonderful, as is baked pasta. Yum. And oddly, we just watched "Into the Wild." Agreed, it's depressing, but it's oddly affirmative too. Makes you want to hug your family and celebrate being alive. And that's what you've been doing!

Many, many more occasions for celebration!

Christine said...

Happy Birthday!!
My husband never cooks. One day he made me homemade lasagna with homemade sauce- and I knew something was up- that was the day he proposed- and he hasn't cooked since!

Jennifer H said...

Sorry that I'm just getting to this, but...

Happy Birthday!

It sounds like your family gave you a wonderful day and lovely gifts.

I think there are lots of hills. At least that's the way I like to look at it. I can't bear the thought that there's just one and it's a downward slope after going over it! :-)

Momma said...

NATUI - I'll hold you to that coffee date sometime in the near future!

Lavinia - This post is from Monday, the 19th. Same birthday as Pete Townshend. :-)

San - Yes, "Into the Wild" definitely made me want to hug my kids a little closer. I can't imagine what it was like for his family, losing him that way.

Christine - I guess you'd wonder why he was cooking if he did it again? :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jennifer - Yes, that's true. There are many hills. This felt like one of them for me, but not in a bad way. It just feels like a change....

Peace - D

Lori said...

I'm tardy to the party AGAIN!!
Happy Birthday to another May baby!
P.S.
The glasses subject brought out the old ophthalmic tech in me.
I just have to butt in with my two cents.
Because of the amount of time you spend working on your computer you may want to get a pair of single vision computer glasses. No lines from trifocals to deal with and much wider field of vision from progressive lens styles.
Just make sure you can give your doc an idea of how far away your computer screen is and he or she will fix you up right.
Let me know if I can butt in and share any more info!