Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Thank You note from my son


God gave me this boy. He is the best person I know. He doesn't talk the talk; he walks the walk. You won't hear him spouting rhetoric; you will see him living his beliefs. I was so proud that he was with me at my graduation from college. I can't wait to be there for his.

This morning, the first email I read was this:

Guys, this is for a project, and I mean every word of it. I was to write a thank you note to the person or persons of my choice.

Mom and Dad, Thank you for all of the support you have given me throughout my life. You have really taught me what it means to support yourself and stay strong even when everything looks like it will fall apart. This will help me to no end, and I will take all of your lessons to heart as I move out on my own. I really appreciate all that you have done for me and all that you have taught me.


I had tears in my eyes when I finished reading it. Just when I thought we must be the worst parents in the world for not having enough money to give our kids all that I think they deserve, just when I thought we were setting a bad example by not always popping right back up from a setback...well, he told me how wrong I was.

Hang in there, Moms of the world. Your kids are picking up the lessons, whether you think they are or not.

Peace - D

15 comments:

Don Mills Diva said...

This brought tears to my eyes. He sounds like a fine young man - you must be so proud.

highlander1463 said...

He is a good son, and I am very proud of him.

-P (dad)

:-Daryl said...

See... kids not only say the darnest things, they say the most meanigful. And his timing was/is impeccable!

:-Daryl

Jennifer H said...

First of all, he looks so much like you.

And second? He has the same good heart. You've done well there. What a sweet, affirming letter.

Momma said...

DMD - He is a fine young man, and people tell me that all the time (who know him in person). Makes me feel really good.

Daryl - They do, don't they? And yes, he couldn't have picked a better time.

Jennifer - He used to really look like me when he was a little tyke. Now he's a bit of a giant! :-)

He actually told me that he had tears in his eyes, too, when he wrote the note. I like a guy who isn't afraid of his feelings. I hope he someday meets a woman who appreciates him.

Peace - D

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh, damn. What a sweetie. He's not even my kid and I'm ready to give him a big smooch!

Thanks for giving me hope! :-)

Akelamalu said...

Somehow they know just the right words to say don't they? :)

Maggie May said...

Isn't it great to get a little message like that?

Mignon said...

I don't know you or your boy. But that put tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. I pray for the same with my kids. I do have the fear of not giving enough of what I think they deserve. What a good boy you have.

Josie said...

Omigosh, that is the most wonderful note I have ever read! I would treasure that. It took me a while to appreciate what my parents had done for me, and then it was too late. How wonderful for you that you son has learned at such an early age to say thank you!

Beautiful!

Momma said...

CMGD - He's an affectionate guy. He'd take that smooch!

Akela - He's a very smart young man. He knows where his bread is buttered :-)

Maggie - Just in time for mother's day! I was very touched...

Mignon - As you can see, kids can surprise you. They are absorbing all that you say and do and at some point, they realize what a blessing you are.

Josie - I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. It made me feel pretty amazing...

Peace - D

Maggie May said...

You must be really proud of him. What a wonderful letter. Brings a lump to the throat.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

What wonderful reward. I am so glad that not only is he such a great guy, but he is CHOOSING to show his appreciation. So many people never say what is on their minds. I am proud of him, even though he is not my boy.

CrazyCath said...

Momma - at a time when I am going through a very difficult patch with the teenager and sit here with tears in my eyes for my own reasons, I so needed those last two lines of your post. Thank you. ((Hug)) xx

Momma said...

Maggie - I still get a lump in my throat when I read it.

NATUI - He's a great guy, and I'd love to have you meet him.

Cath - You know you can always write me and vent. I'm sorry you're having trouble but got some comfort from my post. Hugs - D