Sunday, June 29, 2008

Home Again

Hello my wonderful readers!

I've been in a bit of blogging withdrawal while on the road to/from Florida. It's so good to be back! And according to my Bloglines reader, I have many, many posts to read from you all. I promise I will get to them all.

In the next few posts I want to tell you about some of the great stories I heard and some of the wonderful people I met while we were in Florida. There are so many cousins of hubby's that I've never met, and they were all characters! There is a family reunion in Michigan in August, and we want to go to that, too. Hopefully it will all work out, because his Aunt D has to put us "on the list". If we're not on that list, she says, we won't get in. She was really insistent about this after a couple of Long Island Iced Teas.

Such is the mind of a writer. I spent the entire time soaking up stories and character nuances. I kept thinking, "Oh yeah, I'll have to write about this!" Despite the fact that we had come together for a funeral, we were able to find joy in each others' presence. There is something to be said for that. I believe Uncle Skip's spirit was there, encouraging us to celebrate life, not mourn death. Though he has left a gaping hole in his family, he also taught them a lot about living. I think with that kind of guidance, the family will carry on.

Peace - D

7 comments:

Not Afraid to Use It said...

How wonderful to find so many moments of joy at such a sad time. I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

The hardest I've ever laughed was over "death buffet" chocolate cake (post Dad's funeral) with my cousin. Sometimes it takes those sad times to laugh the most! Glad you re-connected! :)

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

I was at a funeral in January, and surrounded by relatives I rarely see. So I know exactly what you mean by this post. Funerals bring family together, and there is something inevitable about the stories that come out of such gatherings. I look forward to hearing some of the stories that you heard.

Glad you got there and back safely, and I hope you are feeling well this weekend...

Momma said...

NATUI - Thanks, girl - I think you'll like these.

CMGD - Okay, you have to tell us about death buffet chocolate cake. We Southerners do believe in eating our way through grief, don't we?

Lavinia - It's true. Those stories are inevitable. Part of grieving is remembering. I can't wait to write some of these out.

Peace - D

San said...

Doris, what you wrote about Uncle Skip's spirit encouraging you to celebrate life reminded me of my father's funeral. After all of the "public" observance, our immediate family gathered in Mother's bedroom and cracked family jokes to entertain the teenaged grandchildren. I remember that with a smile.

Daryl said...

Doris, in the Jewish faith we sit shivah after the funeral .. its sort of a reverse wake ... the mourners sit on a hard chair so they can remember the pain of loss ... and mirrors are covered so you arent distracted by looking at yourself ... and people come to visit bringing food to eat so the mourners dont have to do anything but mourn ... BUT the stories, the reminising.. the joy of celebrating the person who passed is the real heart of this custom... in your own way that is what your family did ... and that would make Uncle Skip smile dont you think?

:-Daryl

Momma said...

San - What a wonderful memory! I think the stories are the best part. I think if I don't leave any great stories behind I will have failed. Somehow I think I've given them plenty of material, though!

Daryl - I never knew what it meant to sit shivah. Thanks for explaining that to me! Southerners used to also have the custom of covering mirrors and stopping the clocks at the time of death. I find the customs of grief to be uniquely interesting across cultures. If I were an anthropologist, I'd go down that tangent.

Peace - D