Saturday, June 7, 2008

It's Unbearably Hot...So I'm Doing Something Cool

...sharing some new blogs that have made a difference for me. Now these aren't necessarily my usual fare, but I think you'll agree that they are incredible each in their own way.
  • Mommy Making Money shares weekly specials, coupons, rebates, and tips on making your dollar stretch further. I don't even remember how I found her, but today I got 5 Breakstone's Cottage Doubles for $5 and got an instant coupon for $5. Net cost? FREE. You'll especially love her daily/weekly posts if you shop at CVS. If you don't, you might start.
  • Another interesting blog led me to a recipe that involved making lemon chicken in my crockpot tonight. Big hit with the family, and EASY! Follow A Year of Crockpotting here.
  • Through the blog review site Ask and Ye Shall Receive, I found the Cheek of God, where one man writes some fabulous prose. He talks about his faith, his family, and his obesity surgery. Pretty awesome guy.
  • One woman who has seen more than her share of challenges is Heather over at Especially Heather. Again, I don't remember how I found her, but she has an incredible story to tell. Between her brain cancer and her daughter's autism/mitochondrial myopathy/cardiac issues, I don't know how she does it.
I'm not going to cite specific posts for these folks, because you might find that you like different ones than I did. Just start watching them and reading them. I think you'll find something new that you like. Getting free food and a new recipe today? Awesome.

And if you're like us, anything indoors (like blogging) is much better right now than anything outdoors. I don't know what the heat index ended up being today, but it was high. And something isn't right with our A/C. It's nearly as hot in our living room as it is outside. Okay, well, maybe the outside has us beat by 20 degrees (F), but it isn't supposed to be 80 degrees in my living room!!! Argh!

Hopefully I can get someone in to look at it early in the week. The heat wave is supposed to continue.

One more tip for the night: Check out Bloglines if you want to organize all the blogs you read on a daily basis (THIS IS NOT A PAID AD!). I have had a few questions about that. Once I started reading 50+ blogs per day, I couldn't manage it all with bookmarks or even with feeds in my browser. So I logged onto Bloglines, got an account and subscribed to all my feeds there. So guess what? All of you get read (at least by me) every day. Hope this helps!

Peace (and stay cool) - D

6 comments:

K.C. said...

Loved what you wrote in my comments about the ups and the downs. We are now old enough to be experiencing finally the valleys. And this is surely one of them. But, we have had the ups too. So, we know that they are there. So, know we just have to remember how to get back there. But this time we must remember how to do it correctly and with some maturatity, you know? It's not about the money... it's the journey... KC

tysdaddy said...

Thanks for the props. I'm glad you happened across my blog and felt led to contribute.

And, yes, it is hot as hellfire here in NE Indiana too. Ugh!

After I watch some more Carnivale, I'm gonna swing back over here and do some more digging.

Peace!

Brian

Maggie May said...

I do a kind of rotation. There's no method in it really. I just do several at a time & seem to remember who I've visited & when. If I miss several posts on a blog, I leave comments if I feel it is something that interests me!
As I said before, I'm not at all technical!!!!!!!!

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

Google Reader has been my savior. I can't possibly make it everywhere everyday, but at least I know where I've been lately so I can keep up a regular rotation. Let's just pretend that I don't have about 20 new blogs to add. I totally do, but I'm pretending I don't. Less stressful that way.

Momma said...

K.C. - I wish you the best in your quest to get back to financial sanity. I'm right there with you.

Brian - I just noticed that you had said here that you were located in Indiana. Haven't been on the blog as much as usual lately. See tonight's post and enjoy the laugh. You, as a writer, can probably relate.

Maggie - It's okay. I'm always learning something new, and I try to pass it on. Technology moves so fast that it is hard for any of us to keep up. :-)

BBM - Google Reader's good, too. Whatever works! I lose track otherwise. :-)

Peace - D

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

I am partway through bloglines! Looking forward to simplifying the whole process and saving time for the more important stuff like reading the blogs...

I want to check out the crockpotting blog as I use mine and I love it. Always looking for new ideas there...