Monday, June 9, 2008

The Night was Sultry

Sometimes the elevation of the mercury along the little tic-marks on the thermometer, the atmospheric pressure spinning the needle on the barometer, or even the slant of the sun's rays coming in the window can interfere with my ability to string two words together (or avoid trite phrases like that)! From the looks of the feeds today, I'm not alone. Thoughts have withered, damp with perspiration. Creativity hangs suspended amidst the droplets and pollen grains in the air.

My air conditioning unit is working overtime, trying its best to pound the mercury back down -- at least inside the house -- in vain. It was 84 in my living room, and it will be next week before someone can come out to take a look. My son said, "By then the heat wave will be over!" Ah, youth. Always living in the present. There will never be another heat wave.

Meanwhile, my brain and fingers can't seem to get those words onto the electronic page. I feel like Larry in Throw Momma from the Train. Let's hope some crotchety old woman doesn't come along and steal my thunder!



And with that I bid you a good (hopefully crisp or cool) night.

7 comments:

tysdaddy said...

Hang in there. Soon, you're fingers will be too cold to hit Publish.

Daryl said...

Think wintery thoughts... drink lots of water ...

And yes, we did get to see Anne Rice's house and gardens - at least from the outside ... it was a mere 2-3 blocks from where we stayed in the Garden District ... if you get to NOLA .. see if the Comfort Inn (or was it a Quality Inn) is still on St Charles .. reasonable rooms and the streetcar runs along St Charles so you can get everywhere easily.

:-Daryl

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Momma, I've been offline since Friday. Not only is my computer on the fritz, but my upstairs air conditioning was too. During this, the first horrid heat wave of the summer. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I was sorry to miss all your recent posts and I am going to get me to an internet cafe this evening, God willing, and catch up here. I did just read about your cousin, and yes, I am very very interested in these so-called suicides, because everybody and their aunt know that they are *not* suicides. I commend you for your writing on this....I will read that post again, more closely....

God Bless you momma, and looking forward to reading all your posts....keep cool, and here's hoping for cooler weather for you...

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Can't put words together? Woman, please! That entire first paragraph put my entire blog to shame. Sheesh!

The AC at Ty-man's office is dead on the second floor. Yeah. 95 degrees up there yesterday.

I'm not having writers' block. My issue is between three meals, dishes, laundry, dusting, and playing outside in the kiddy pool, when do I have time to read the blogs of others?!? AAARRRRGH!

Love ya!

Not Afraid To Use It said...

LOL I LOVE the fact that you quoted Throw Momma From the Train. You rock! One of the best scenes ever!

On a side note, I am just glad our A/C kicked in when Hubbie turned it on for the first time last night!

Momma said...

Tysdaddy - Oh yes. Since I obviously have some airflow problems in this house, it gets terribly cold in the winter, too. No happy medium!

Daryl - It's one of the places hubby and I want to visit. I've only ever seen it from the freeway (I-10), going 90.

Lavinia - Good to see you back online today. Three posts, no less! :-)

CMGD - Hope things are going better at your place and that they got the A/C back on at Tyman's office!

NATUI - So good to see you online tonight! Throw Momma from the Train is one of my favorite movies. "Owen loves his Momma!"

Peace - D

Maggie May said...

That was SO funny! Not so funny about your AC on the blink. Hope it is fixed now.