Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wordzzle Librarian

Over at San's blog, I picked up a Wordzzle she did yesterday. She invited me to try this...

Take the following ten words...
  • prenomial
  • inexplicable
  • tangerine
  • masks
  • chocolate cake
  • panorama
  • librarian
  • Stonehenge
  • meek
  • florid
...and weave them into a paragraph. Sound easy? Well, it wasn't too bad, and it was a great writing prompt. Sometimes we blocked writers need those. If you would like to try your hand at it (I'm not tagging anyone), it would be nice if you commented here and/or linked back to me. Enjoy my little tale!


She was a meek librarian who dreamed of traveling to Stonehenge, to bathe in the shadows of the standing stones as the sun fell toward the horizon. "I would wash myself in the mystery," she said aloud to the panorama of African tribal masks that hung on the far wall of the deserted library. Remember your prenomial verbs! her French teacher had said too often. I wash myself. Je me lave. Her desire to stand in those shadows was as inexplicable as her disgust with chocolate cake. As if to rid herself of the thought of cake, she swept her lips twice with her tangerine lipstick, a jarring color against her florid complexion. And off she went into the night, in search of a latte and love.

Peace - D

10 comments:

San said...

Excellent job, Doris! You are a good sport to play along. I love your librarian and I hope she makes it to Stonehenge.

There's a blogger called Raven who came up with the wordzzle and she posts the challenge weekly. Wish I had the link to put here in the comment in case others are interested.

Momma said...

It's a great idea, San, and I had fun doing it! Thanks for sharing it with me. Peace - D

Josie said...

Doris, my gosh! That was wonderful...! I envy you writers. I would love to be able to do that.

There is another weekly callenge called Friday Flash 55. I will send you the link, if you like. You would be perfect for it.

Daryl said...

Wonderful prose Doris .. just wonderful... I especially like the French teacher verbage rememberance...


:-Daryl

tysdaddy said...

Nice . . .

You ever play the game JabberJot? It's a super fun writing prompt game where someone picks a few subject cards, a theme, some words out of a bag, and then the others have two or three minutes (I can't remember how long the little sand timer gives you) to write a story that must include all the elements chosen. Some very good times have been had playing that game around our place.

Check it out . . .

Momma said...

Josie - Aw, thanks! I would love to participate in more challenges like this. Words are my game, girl!

Daryl - Thanks! That means a lot to me...And yeah, had to throw in verb lessons to drive home the concept of prenomial.

Tysdaddy - I have to say I've never heard of Jabber Jot. Now I have to go look it up!

Peace - D

Jennifer H said...

Very well done. I'm always impressed when people pull this off, and you did it very very well.

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Highly creative! You've used the words in a clever way to create a paragraph that not only weaves them together very well, but is also interesting...you know I'd like to read the continuation of this story...it sounds like a great beginning...

Max-e said...

Hi Doris, you do have a way with words. For some reason got lost at prenomial, but then I was too lazy to look it up. I guess I should have asked the meek librarian. It would not have been any use though, as my ipod masks all sounds, espcially when I crank up the volume on my favourite tunes, like Hey Mr Tangerine Man. So instead I settled down to page through an execellent travel book. While I was surreptitiously eating my chocolate cake and looking at a magnificent panorama of Stanehenge, for some inexplicable reason the librarian was no longer meek. She evicted me from the library - imagine my embarrassment. My already florid complexion was glowing like a traffic light as I left.
Have a great weekend.

Momma said...

Jennifer - Thanks Jennifer. I'm sure you are very good at these things, too. I just love your writing!

Lavinia - Oh, I'm so good at beginnings. I have a whole file of beginnings :-) I just have to finish them all!

Max-e - Well done! I love that the librarian overcame her meekness to protect her turf, so to speak! Very creative!

Peace - D