Saturday, July 5, 2008

How Quickly They Grow


We spent the day with hubby's brother, his wife, and their year-old-son, J. He's an adorable little guy, and though they live in Northern Virginia (about an hour and a half from here) we haven't seen them since Christmas. That's far too long in the life of a child. I was looking at this photo of J and The Boy, thinking how quickly they grow. Seems like only yesterday that The Boy was this small (can you believe that?). The picture of these two cousins together, at such different points in their lives, kind of chokes me up.

I miss those days and hope that all of you mommies and daddies of toddlers out there will take a moment to hug them, to kiss them, to inhale that wonderful new smell they all seem to have (when the diaper is fresh), and nibble on their little toes. Enjoy just one quiet moment of communion with their tiny selves, knowing that someday they may grow to be 6'5" and have size 15 feet, knowing that someday they will go off to college and come home smarter than you, knowing that - if you're very lucky - they will someday reach out with a strong arm and pull you in for a bear hug at random, kissing the top of your head and saying, "Love ya, crazy Mom."

That's worth one big Binky-filled grin from J! Peace - D

8 comments:

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Major cute factor going on in these photos! You are so right...they grow so fast..it is a cliche but its true. I sometimes look at my daughter and swear it was just yesterday that I was changing diapers...

Jennifer H said...

Such a good, sweet reminder. J is so adorable!

Jay said...

So true - we all need to live in the moment at least part of the time in order to savour what is now. I loved my kids as toddlers, and did a lot of savouring. I loved them as teens, too.

Now they're both young men in their twenties, I make sure I stop what I'm doing when they drop by, to savour those bear hugs and 'Crazy Mum' kisses.

And I'm very proud of my 6ft tall, hairy, big-footed, 'all-grown-up' guys.

Momma said...

Lavinia - It's true, isn't it? Some days it feels like the sleepless nights and diaper changes are interminable, and then it's over. The kids are grown and doing their own, unexpected things.

Jennifer - Hug those kids!

Jay - I'm glad to know that your big guys give you those hugs, too. It's all the repayment we ask for as parents - just love us.

Peace - D

Daryl said...

Awww .. those are sweet times .. I often look at pix of my god children who are now all grown up and think about how sweet they were .. and how smart and fun they have become .. your J was and is a cutie!

:-Daryl

Akelamalu said...

We had three of our grandchildren here yesterday and I suddenly realised the eldest will be 9 next month! Where does the time go?

Daryl said...

Sunday silliness .. you have been tagged: 'pthththth'.

Come get the rules!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I feel like that every day. That I need to snuggle them tight because the days are passing so quickly. Esp. with LittleMan. I see the rough and tumble of the boys on the playground and I know that the days of him snuggling in my lap are numbered. Sigh.