Friday, July 11, 2008

New Profile Name


I'm changing things up a bit, one thing at a time. First, I shall henceforth be listed as RiverPoet in my posts and comments. For now, I'll leave the image as is. Eventually, when you are used to the new name, I'll change the image, too.

The reason? Well, I was originally RiverPoet. It is a handle that I've had...well, almost since I started using computers ages and ages ago. It was born of a fascination with the Dragonlance book series, which I read when my son was a baby. Yes, he was such a good sleeper that I was able to read entire chapters while he was napping and his sister was playing with the neighbor's little girl. Sinful! There was a Plainsman character named Riverwind, and while he was male, I was fascinated with the name. (A Plainsman is sort of like a Native American). So eventually I made a hybrid of it, and RiverPoet was born, circa 1989.

I went undercover when I started a separate blog about my struggles with my daughter's mental illness. In order to be incognito and not to embarrass her, I stopped using my normal handle. Now I've made that blog private and hardly ever post to it. It's just too painful for me to deal with at the present. "Momma" might lead people to think that I have "just another Mommy blog" -- not that there's anything wrong with that! But I'm a mom of adult children and have nothing cute to post about any toddlers in my household. Maybe when I'm a Nana, I'll start a blog about my grandchildren. For now, this is the blog of a middle-aged poet. I want the profile name to match what people can expect from me.

I may even sign off my comments as (formerly "Momma") for now, just to help my occasional readers to understand that it's still me. But I need to make the transition back now. I'm still a Momma, but I want my handle to tell you what you can expect here. A sensitive poet. A nature lover. It has a nice ring to it, I think.

For now...D

9 comments:

Akelamalu said...

I like the new name! :)

A change is as good a rest, so they say!

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Hello Momma---er...River Poet!

I see exactly what your reasoning is, and I must say, I agree. RiverPoet is a lyrical name and a very good choice.

Looks like you are getting your blog house in order...I look forward to more good things over here, as I've come to expect (and invariably find).

Welcome RiverPoet!

RiverPoet said...

Akela - I certainly hope so! Change is good, and I've learned to start embracing it.

Lavinia - I'm so glad to have you as a regular visitor, so it means a lot to me that you like the new (old) name :-)

Peace - D

Josie said...

I like the new name. And I am in favor of women keeping their identity, separate and apart from their children and their families. We often lose our identities and become a daughter, a wife, a mother.... It has taken a long time for me to get my identity back.

BTW, I have never read your blog about your daughter's mental illness, but my heart goes out to you, and to your daughter as well.

Daryl said...

A fitting name .. I hope the poetry flows from you as gently and beautifully as a river flows ..


:-Daryl

tysdaddy said...

I got into some Dragonlance books a while back. I'm a big-time gamer, and romped in that world for a time.

Change is hard, ain't it . . .

I don't think I'll ever leave behind "tysdaddy"

SandyCarlson said...

I like the change! And thanks for the scoop about the books.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Jennifer H said...

I love it!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Change is good! And no matter what you call yourself? I call you Friend. :)