Friday, August 8, 2008

Drum Roll Please: The Bed

I know you've all been waiting with bated breath for my review of my new Simmons Beautyrest NxG 100 Plush bed, right? I haven't written about it yet, because I've been sleeping!

The first night, Wednesday, was glorious. I fell asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow. I dreamed - actually dreamed - all night long (or so it seemed to me). In one dream, I was considering an affair with Billy Bob Thornton. That dream seemed to go on for waaaaaay too long. In another dream, I was watching a news story in which Katie Couric had just completed the Boston Marathon. I wondered, as I watched her, if her toenails had fallen off. It's a reasonable thought. Some people take such abuse to their feet during the training and marathon that they lose toenails, or so I'm told. You won't catch me running a marathon. It's not on my "life list," you know?

I did still wake up with some back pain, but I am not foolish enough to think that a new mattress will fix a long-standing spinal issue. I figure I'm going to have to "break in" the bed and get used to it before I start noticing a huge difference.

Last night? Same thing. I dropped right off to sleep, barely having time to give my little CC (my gray cat) a scratch behind the ears before I was in LaLa Land. I remember turning over once or twice during the night - just once or twice as compared to seemingly dozens of times in the old bed - and I woke up completely rested at 6:30.

I woke up with less back pain than yesterday, and I feel so good! I feel even better that someone has purchased my Sleep Number bed and is coming to pick it up at noon today. It was on Craigslist.com for less than 72 hours. I'm getting half of what I advertised it for, but more than double what hubby thought we'd get for it. And it won't be cluttering up my garage. The new owner has experience with Sleep Number and loves it. Yay! The bed is going to a good home.

As for me? I will be sticking with traditional mattresses, no more fad sleep systems, no more funky changes to what works for me.

As for the dogs? I went looking for them yesterday because they had snuck out of my office during a conference call, all stealth-like. I figured Bodhi must be getting into something, because he is always into something. I tip-toed down the hallway, ready to catch him red-pawed, when...I spotted them! Bodhi and Lily were on the bed, stretched as much as a bulldog can stretch, snoring. CC was stretched out in the window, enjoying the sunshine and the view of the duck pond out back. You know something's good when it calls to the bulldogs in their sleep and makes them respond to its call.

There you have it. I'm sleeping better, sleeping longer, and am blissfully happy with the new purchase.

I wish you all... Zzz....ZZzzzz...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

(Peace - D)

9 comments:

Jay said...

Sounds like a great start! Well, apart from Billy Bob, anyway .. what were you thinking? LOL!

I hope the mattress continues to be good for you!

Dianne said...

Sounds wonderful!

I love the image of the dogs also enjoying the bed while CC enjoys their enjoyment.

I saw their pics down below - they're adorable. I think Bull Dogs are the W.C. Fields of the dog world, so smart and funny behind their big ole faces.

Congrats on how everything worked out!

RiverPoet said...

Jay - I have no idea what I was thinking. I guess he reminds me of the guys I grew up with. Southern and just a little sleazy.

Dianne - That's so true! In fact, many male bulldogs are dubbed "Winston" for exactly that reason.

Peace - D

Sandy said...

Sleep at last! Wahoo!!!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Woo hoo! That's awesome, hon! I'm so glad you've had diminished back pain and great sleep. Ty and I feel the exact same way about our Tempur-Pedic. It's so wonderful when you regain sleep. :)

tysdaddy said...

Wife and I haven't had a new bed in over 15 years. That's 15 years of kids jumping and wrestling and cross-country moving and baby making and whoopie. We're thinking of something new. Thanks for the review . . .

RiverPoet said...

Sandy - Yes, at last! And now I'm in Kitty Hawk, missing my bed!

CMGD - It is amazing when you regain sleep. I didn't know how tired I was!

Tysdaddy - Yep, time for you to treat yourself to a new bed. It's an amazingly wonderful thing!

Peace - D

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Hot damn! I cannot tell you how happy I am for you! You don't realize how much you have been missing out on a good mattress/good nights sleep until you get one! Congrats to you guys!

Jennifer H said...

That bed sounds like heaven. We really need a new mattress, so I'll add your recommendation to the list of possibilities.

Also, I don't think Billy Bob Thorton is a bad choice at all. :-)