Friday, August 29, 2008

Meme for a Friday: My Life - The Movie

Because I have a convoluted mess of things on my mind right now, none of which I feel compelled to discuss here, I am going to hide behind a meme this Friday. Suffice it to say that I am my own worst enemy and that the convoluted mess will work itself out.

I stole this meme from Drowsy Monkey who says, "Life's weird, so you'd better have a sense of humor." Ain't that the truth, folks?

This meme is a great way for me to imagine what's going on in my life playing out on the big screen. So here are...The Rules!

If you had to select celebrities/actors to play the p
arts in the story of your life today (including yourself!), who would it be and why - this can be based on looks or personality.

1. List the people who would play you, and the key people in your life.
2. Give credit to the person who tagged you. (Well, I gave credit to the person from whom I swiped this).
3. Link your answers to the original blog, that’s here at iR
amble. (though I couldn't find the original meme there...so never mind!)
4. Tag four new people to participate. (I'll let you all swipe this at will and save it for a rainy day...oh wait, it's already raining here!)

**Some people do not appear in the story of my life, for reasons they understand...

Who would play me?

Susan Sarandon, of course. Ever since I saw her play the innocent-girl-goes-bad in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I've been hooked. Not just in our similar looks (at least when I'm not wearing the glasses) but in our politics, our outspokenness, our compassion, and our zest for life...we could be sisters -- twins, maybe. I think she'd get "me" right...but she would really, really hate playing the hospital scenes!

...my husband, Paul (who also played "Pete" in my series This Used to be My Beach):


Strictly for political and humor reasons, he would have to be played by Lewis Black. That is the comedian he loves and most closely relates to. However, you've seen pics of my husband, and he looks nothing like Lewis Black. He looks more like Jerry Cantrell. Lucky for me, he hasn't lived the kind of life Cantrell has. I'd put up with that druggie crap for about - oh - two seconds! (However, we've met and talked to Jerry a couple of times, and he's quite nice. Everyone has their own demons...)

...my best friend, Karen, would have to be played by Shirley Maclaine.

I've often been reminded of Karen's sardonic wit and frustration with impracticality of most people she meets when I watch Shirley play 'Ouisa in Steel Magnolias. That is Karen all over again. The sarcastic, acidic, heart-of-gold Southern woman.

...my older sister, Gail, though I used to think more of her as a Sally Field, we're both disgusted with the Boniva commercials. So I'd hire Mary-Louise Parker.
Parker has those dark good looks of my sister (brown eyes, dark hair) and has a wide range of emotions that she plays while maintaining the outward appearance of still waters. Well, you know what they say about still waters. They run deep, and often you never see a ripple on the surface. That's Gail.

...my son, Sean, though he may evoke more of a Vin Diesel vibe with his sheer size and shaved head, strikes me more as a Ryan Gosling.

Ryan seems sweet, funny, self-effacing, and genuine - plus, he could play that dry wit and unique spirit my son has.

...my daughter, Stef would have to be played by Zooey Deschanel. She's the only actress I can think of who would not only evoke the way my daughter looks but also that flat affect that she often gets, her constant sarcasm, and the sweetness that lies underneath it all.


...my mother, Helen,...could easily be played by Kathy Bates. Bates has the complete range of my mother's emotions and eccentricities in her portfolio. She's played everything from a hot middle-aged woman with too many pills in her medicine cabinet (and a hot tub to boot) to an abused woman (Delores Claiborne) to someone who's just a little bit twisted (Misery). Yeah, She could pull it off.

And just because, Keanu Reeves and Johnny Depp would have to put in appearances as mystery men.



There you have it, folks. My story....straight to DVD.

Peace - D

11 comments:

Baroness von Bloggenschtern said...

Honey, I want me some front-row tickets to THAT premiere!

I'll even go out and buy some new red-carpet shoes for the occassion (like I need an excuse).

RiverPoet said...

B von B - It would be a good one...trust me ;-)

Peace - D

Daryl said...

I would have chosen Aaron Eckhart (as he looked in Erin Brockovich)would be perfect as your husband but since this is your movie and your casting choices ..

Love this MEME ... not enough to do it .. but ...

:-Daryl

Drowsey Monkey said...

lol ... I like how you have a few guest appearances, just because. :)

Very interesting family indeed! Thanks for the mention :)

Sarah said...

i love this--i'll definitely be swiping this one.

(and kudos to you for working in johnny depp...)

Hilary said...

This was fun to look at--I can't wait to swipe it!

lime said...

LOL, i LOVE that you included mystery men. good thinkin!

tysdaddy said...

I'd see that movie.

Me? To play me back in my fat days, it would have to be John Candy. Nowadays, it would be Paul Giamatti.

And the new theme of your blog? Wow!

Lavinia said...

Interesting and unique choices. I think you missed your calling as a casting director. I really really like the mystery men......

Dianne said...

Susan Sarandon is an excellent choice!

and I love that you have mystery men :)

RiverPoet said...

Daryl - As I wrote to you, I hadn't even considered Eckhart as he looked in Erin Brockovich. Excellent!

Drowsy Monkey - You have a great blog, and I loved swiping this wonderful meme!

Sarah - Be sure to let me know when you do yours! Can't wait to read it...

Hilary - Same for you! I'll be watching for it.

Lime - One has to have mystery men. Keeps life interesting, no?

Tysdaddy - Glad you like the new template! I can't take credit for doing anything more than tweaking it and selecting it.

Lavinia - You grab the popcorn; I'll get the gummy bears. Let's sit back and watch the mystery men work.

Dianne - Glad you liked it! Feel free to swipe it...

Peace - D