Saturday, September 13, 2008

Haze Around the Moon


Tonight there is such an interesting cloud around the moon. It reminds me of the fogginess surrounding my week. When you are going along just fine, thinking things are working the way they should, you suddenly trip over your own feet and go down, skinning your knee. It reminds you that you are human.

I didn't literally skin my knee, but let's just say that God's keeping me in a very vulnerable place right now. He's reminding me that I don't have it all together just yet. He certainly has a way of keeping me honest.

To friends around the world - you know who you are - the ones who are outside the U.S., forgive us Americans for our recent, current, and continued madness. If you've been paying attention, you'll know why we're so heated up, why this is so bloody important to us, this election. I'm not normally a news junkie nor a pol, but I have felt, ever since 2000, that if I don't become a little more vocal and convicted about my political leanings, the madness in Washington, led by the likes of Karl Rove, just might continue and take my beloved country down.

And something really tragic has happened in the last couple of decades in America. We've stopped really talking about politics. Oh, we'll yell; we'll protest; we'll make passive-aggressive attacks on each other -- but we will not have a reasonable, polite discussion when we find we are on different sides, behind different party lines. It's gotten very ugly. I have a few special people in my life who are Republican-oriented and care enough to have the conversations with me. I don't limit myself to just talking to like-minded folks. And you know? If you will listen, we all have more in common than you might think.
  • We all want change (though we may not have a clear definition for that).
  • We all want human rights (though again, we may not have a clear definition. Does it mean yes to capital punishment and no to abortion? Does it mean that a human has a right to do what he/she pleases to an animal? No one can really explain the broad term "human rights" to me).
  • We all want the economy to improve (lower gas prices, stable housing market, more living wage jobs) because we're all feeling the pinch -- except those making over $5 mil a year ;-) Frankly it doesn't matter whom you blame for the condition the economy is in. Let's just move on and fix it, okay?
  • We all want health care coverage, however it gets paid for. Can any of you honestly say that you think there are people who have no right to safe and adequate health care? I didn't think so.
  • We all want peace. I think even the people who think we're working for freedom over in Iraq ultimately want the troops to come home safe and alive. They want peace. No one really wants war. But some do support it because they believe it is a just war. For the record? I never thought it was a good idea, but apparently they didn't count my vote in Congress.
So how about we start again from a point at which we agree? How about we treat each other like fellow Americans and not like the enemy? How about we stop slinging names at each other and just get down to the business of building our country up again?

I don't think it's any secret that I was a Hillary supporter. I now back Obama, because my candidate is backing him, too, and he is standing for what I believe in more so than McCain/Palin. That shouldn't mean that we can't all talk, that we can't all get along like Americans. Remember that? Remember unity? Personally, the angst I've been feeling lately is taking its toll. I am having to ratchet it back just a little. That doesn't mean for one second that I've given up or that I'm not just as committed to what I believe in. I just need to have a little peace in my world.

Let it begin with me, you know? Peace - D


[Photo Credit]

15 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Amen, sister. I'm backing Obama, too. I'm all for intelligence and hope combined.

Sandy said...

Loved the video!

Akelamalu said...

I'm not going to comment on your election but I do agree with everything you've said as it can apply to any country going through an election process.

Moannie said...

It is hard not to be cynical, with polititions. in your country and mine behaving as if our votes count only to put them in a position of power so that they can then do what is best for their own pockets and for those with deeper pockets who put them there. I lived for a while in Mexico and learned first hand how currupt government works and our governments are-by comparison, and by and large run by the people for the people. I have to believe that. But day by day we hear stories of ordinary folk being crushed by legislation, thought up by some faceless civil servant trying to justify his inflated salary.
Sadly, I believe that we have reached the point of no return: like global warming...we must say STOP! Listen to us, the people who put you in power to be our servants and to do OUR bidding. LISTEN TO US...LISTEN TO US!

RiverPoet said...

SandyC - Intelligence and hope combined is a great combination indeed!

Sandy - Glad you liked the video. It's always been my favorite musical.

Akela - How true! I think we just have to talk, you know? When we stop talking it out amongst ourselves, we give the control to those in "power."

Moannie - Well said! I can't think of a thing to add! Thanks...

Peace - D

YogaforCynics said...

Thanks for reminding me of one of my (many) favorites from Jesus Christ Superstar--my favorite musical, too.

I suspect that the increasingly divisive role of religion in American politics has had a lot to do with the increasingly animosity. Sometime in the early '80's, it seems that we went from "I disagree with your political views" to "Jesus disagrees with your political views, and you're going to hell for them." Then, there's also the feeling on the part of many like myself who think that, with what we're doing to our environment, the world is going to turn into a hell if we don't change the way we do things soon, and that a lot of leading politicians are far more concerned with helping billionaires to profit off of that destruction rather than stopping it. Hmmm...I seem to have gone off on a partisan rant of my own. Ah well, I'll try to be more peaceful and loving in the morning....

Lovely blog you've got here.

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

please drop by and read this post today..

http://fatfrumpyandfifty.blogspot.com/2008/09/omgosh-my-first-award.html

saz x

Jay said...

D - I'm sorry you're going through a tough time right now. I love the picture and I can see why it holds such symbolism for you. But the light is still there, is it not?

As to the politics, OH is much more interested in that than I am, but because he is interested in American politics (and always has been) I know perhaps more about it than many English people. It seems there is a misconception among Americans that we in Europe hate America, and therefore hate Americans. Some, it seems, are fearful of travelling here because they're afraid of what their reception will be.

Let me reassure you guys that we don't hate Americans, and we don't hate America. We hate exactly what you hate: the political double-dealing and pocket-lining and lying and hypocrisy. We LIKE Americans!

Speaking personally, since I began coming to the US to visit, I've met a lot of American people. I dislike one or two, sure, but that's only the same proportion as the number of English people I dislike. On the whole you're a very likeable bunch! :)

San said...

A thoughtful post, Doris. GO OBAMA!

Here's to thinking about and solving our problems from the standpoint of compassion and wisdom.

Nice video too. Most appropriate.

RiverPoet said...

Yoga - Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love getting new readers, and I'll go check yours out, too.

FFF - Thanks so much for the blog jewelry! I always love getting awards from my readers :-)

Jay - I am glad to hear that Americans aren't ostracized across the pond. Our politicians may make themselves a laughing stock, but we're a pretty sane people as a whole.

San - Aw, thanks! I hope Obama really does "take the gloves off," as he says he's going to. We've got to turn this country around.

Peace - D

david mcmahon said...

You skinned your knee but gave us a great post.

the walking man said...

RP..you got me back in the choir going amen sister, amen!

RiverPoet said...

David, that means a lot to me, coming from you!

WalkingMan - So are you a tenor or a bass? I picture you as being a bass. Give me some soul, brother!

Peace - D

Ruth D~ said...

Too much commotion, too much distraction, too much confusion. Wish it was all behind us so we could move on.

Lavinia said...

Very well said. And I am Canadian......the news of the election is being followed up here.......we are in the midst of an election campaign too.....