Friday, September 5, 2008

If Only I Had Pipes Like This...

Did I ever tell you I wanted to be a singer? When I was young, I sang in church, and later I was in chorus for 3 years of high school, second soprano. I even went to all-state competitions and performed on a record (playing piano) in my sophomore year. It was a fun time in my life, and beautiful voices still make me weep.

But I don't have the pipes for it, really. I don't have that amazingly strong voice that you hear coming out of some people when they open their mouths. These days I'd be more like a Cowboy Junkie than a Carrie Underwood. More of an Ashlee Simpson than a Jennifer Hudson. (click on those links for my favorite songs by those ladies...)

Anyway, all this leads up to the fact that a little 6-year-old British girl brought a tear to my eye today and melted even the nasty ol' Simon Cowell. What do you think? Personally I like her a lot better than some of the little beauty pageant queens who sound so phony-baloney.

Listen and enjoy - D

9 comments:

Employee No. 3699 said...

The video wouldn't play for me, but that's okay I've already seen it and I know what you mean. You totally need to go to YouTube and see her singing Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You!"

RiverPoet said...

Sorry - it's a French site (I think). You may need to double-click on it to open it in a new browser. Doggone it....

D

Jay said...

I've heard this little girl before - she has an incredible voice for a six year old!

I just hope she doesn't have 'showbiz parents' who are going to push and push and push her to get famous and make a lot of money.

Does anyone know if she won that competition? She was a sweetie, wasn't she?

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh, my! She is just absolutely precious! Thanks for the link, hon!

RiverPoet said...

Jay - I'm with you there. I hope she's just allowed to blossom. She's a beautiful child.

CMGD - Where ya been??? Good to see you around the blog.

Peace - D

Akelamalu said...

She's a little belter isn't she!

I don't think she won the competition but I bet someone will have signed her up to do a record.

I was always in the choir at school but as I've got older I've just run out of breath and my voice is shot at! :(

RiverPoet said...

Akela, it's ok. I go out and make a joyful noise anyway :-)

Peace - D

Lavinia said...

I think I've seen this before....she is so sweet...love the gap between the teeth!

Hilary said...

I've also seen this wee angel before but she gets me tearing up every time. I just love when her perfect little mouth forms the words "Skies are blue." Shes just the sweetest little thing. Thanks for posting it. :)