Thursday, October 9, 2008

Carpe Diem!


(A true story, as told to me by my hubby, about a moment in time in a large company in NW Atlanta where he is currently on assignment....)

Voice 1 (from the other side of the cubicle): What is 'carpe diem'?
Voice 2: Why? Are you driving somewhere?
Voice 1: Huh? Oh...not car per-diem...car-pe diem.
Voice 2: Oh. Don't know. Never heard of it.

Hubby, stifling his laughter and being a gentleman, steps around the cubicle to help...

Hubby: I couldn't help but overhear....
Voice 1: Yeah, what is this 'carpe diem'?
Hubby: It means, "Seize the Day!"

Blank looks...crickets chirping...

Voice 1: I don't get it.
Voice 2: Is it s'posed to be funny?
Hubby: No...it's a Latin phrase. It means "seize the day," grab the gusto, don't delay!"

More crickets chirping....

Hubby (grabbing at the air with his fist): Here is the day! I have seized it.
Voice 1: Huh. That's kinda odd.
Voice 2: Must be a Latin thing.

I swear to you, this really happened. He started to tell me about this by saying, "Here's a 'Georgia' for you..." Fear not! We feel entitled to have a little fun at the expense of our Georgia neighbors because I was born there (in Douglas), have lived there for a time (in Fitzgerald) as a teen, and still have a lot of family there (spread out through the poorest parts south Georgia). Hubby's brother and sister live in Atlanta, and we lived in Smyrna for 2 years. So we know of what we speak and aren't just poking fun at Southerners. I am a Southern girl. Still...sometimes you run into those people who fit the stereotype, who feed the beliefs of the rest of the world that Southerners are uneducated, out-of-touch dolts. Hey, the stereotype had to come from somewhere, right?

Hope this gave you a chuckle for the day. Peace - D

19 comments:

Moannie said...

Yes it did give me a chuckle. Hubby could have said [allowing for ignorance 'it means, the carp are running today' and then some voice would cry, 'no, it means seize the day' then he and the two guys would have fallen about laughing.

I'm babbling, but made myself laugh.

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

LOL...great little story...seize!!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

THANK YOU for reminding me at this crucial time as to why I do not want to raise my kids in the ATL suburbs.

Mental P Mama said...

Love it! This Tennessee girl is very happy that is was someone from Georgia this time;)

Insane Mama said...

I'm in LA, so I never really know what to expect from the cubicles around me

Akelamalu said...

Carpe what?????

Only kidding. There are parts and people around here that could be cousins of Georgia.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

I can just imagine him standing there, fists in the air. I think I would have followed up that incident with a punch or two. That lack of knowledge of all the basic stuff we learned in junior and high school amazes me.

Jay said...

I think it's very sad that knowledge of latin is very nearly a thing of the past among ordinary people. It is so useful to know a little, not to mention quite amusing at times!

Carpe Diem! I would have thought that was one of the more well-known!

Maggie May said...

At first I thought you were talking about carpel tunnel syndrome! No...... not really, only joking!
Was a funny story!

SandyCarlson said...

Way. Too. Funny. Keep these people away from Dead Poets' Society.

And dare I say, "Que sera, sera." (Whoever Kay Sera is.)

Jo said...

Too funny!!! We have an area here in Vancouver called Surrey, otherwise known as "Slurrey" and we love to make fun of them too. Sometimes people just fit into those stereotypes, don't they?

"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes."

Heh.

Baroness von Bloggenschtern said...

It never ceases to amaze me how many people live under rocks and in caves, never to hear common phrases like "Carpe Diem".

Georgia probably never heard of "E Pluribus Unum" either. Even I know that, and I'm not from around your neck of the woods!

Employee No. 3699 said...

Just curious, what type of job do these two morons do at this big company? Nothing requiring a high school diploma I hope.

Have a great weekend.

the walking man said...

Aren't carp bottom dwellers? I have been told they taste like catfish? Do you catch them with worms or bits of bread?

Lavinia said...

It did give me a chuckle. Ahd yes, you are *more* than qualified and entitled to poke a little fun at Southerners, being one yourself. You're a Georgia Peach! Gotta love them, especially their accents.

RiverPoet said...

Moannie - That would have been priceless!

FFF - Thanks, glad you liked it!

NATUI - Isn't that the truth??

MPM - Ha! Yes, we Southerners never know when we're going to be the butt of a joke, do we?

Insane Mama - Welcome to Poetic License! I hope you'll come back around. LA is definitely a unique style of Southern, yes?

Akela - You had me worried for a minute! ;-)

CMGD - Maybe you can have him record the story in person! I was laughing so hard when he told me this.

Jay - You would think so, right? I told him I'm going to have to get him a coffee mug with some obscure Latin saying for him to use during his time there.

Maggie - :-) So glad it gave you a laugh!

SandyC - HA1 Kay Sera! :-)

Jo - I had to look that up, so I guess I don't have too much education, eh? Great comment!

B von B - You would think they'd know it if it were on their money, yes? Although most people use plastic now....hmmm....no Latin on that...

3699 - They work for a major cell phone company. I don't know in what capacity they work there, but still...it's not fast food!

WM - Hmm, then would "Carpe Diem" mean that the fish of the day is carp? ;-)

Lavinia - Yep, I'm a peach, although I always felt more like a Texan. Too bad Texas is such a Red state these days....

Peace - D

CrazyCath said...

My goodness if Carpe Diem foxed them then what about Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum? bet your hubby felt like doing that when he finished.

I'm not sure what is up with me but I have previously been and read your posts below but seem to have neglected to comment! It's ok - I'm in my own world but I'm all right because they know me here! lol

Real Live Lesbian said...

Whew....I'm also glad it wasn't some TN podunk! Fortunately, I took two years of latin in HS, so I can look all "smart like" when someone says Carpe Diem to me!

Kendra Logan said...

Lols, this sounds like something that would happen to me :)

~Kendra