Friday, October 17, 2008

Feed a Cold

Oh, it's official. I'm ailing from something.

The migraine I was fighting when I wrote my last post? I think it was more than a migraine. I think it was due to swollen glands in my neck (which can mimic the kind of pressure i get before a migraine). This is what I get for talking to a friend right after she got her flu shot (at the grocery store!) and for not wearing gloves everywhere I went. Ick. Swollen glands, sore throat, low grade fever, and the side of my face hurts. Weird, huh? I am just going to get plenty of rest, drink my juices, and eat when I'm hungry right now to try and get rid of this thing.

Meanwhile, I have polished off a book and a movie during my hours of feeling like something scraped off the bottom of a shoe. *

Nicholas Sparks' latest novel, The Lucky One, is a fabulous story of a Marine who has just come back from Iraq with quite a tale to tell. A photograph that he found in the sand has seemingly become his good luck charm, and after the death of a friend, he sets out to find the woman in the picture. In typical Sparks fashion, it's a rollicking good love story. BUT a couple of things bothered me. First off was the little "m" he used in "marine." Maybe the dictionary lists the term as lower case, but to me, my Marine Corps hubby, and all of our Marine friends and family (and to the official USMC material, I should add), it's a proud title that should be considered a proper noun with a capital "M". Secondly, one of his main characters, the woman's ex-husband, was a little two-dimensional. Normally Sparks' characters are more well-developed, but not so with this one. I just think Sparks wanted to drive home the point that this dude was dumb, reckless, and evil-spirited. I got that after the first chapter. He didn't need to keep explaining it. Other than that? Great book. Especially the last two-thirds of the book had me hooked. I caught myself reading the last few chapters during part of a conference call that didn't directly involve me yesterday. That's how taut the ending was. Read it!

As for the movie, I watched Made of Honor with Patrick "McDreamy" Dempsey. Yum! If you're not familiar with the movie, it's a romantic comedy in which the best friend (Dempsey) of a woman about to be married (Michelle Monoghan) decides that she's the woman he's waited for his entire life. Sound a little like My Best Friend's Wedding? Yeah, it is a little like that, but it's so good. I loved it, and not just because I was running a fever ;-) I highly recommend it and will probably be buying a copy.

So there you have it -- my latest recommendations. You never know what you'll get on my blog. Sometimes you'll hear about mattresses; sometimes you'll get movie reviews. Hopefully you'll never get bored.

Now, given that it's 3 in the morning, I'm going back to bed. G'night, campers.

Enjoy - D
* I do not do paid reviews for anyone or anything. These are simply thoughts I decided to share based on my personal likes.

9 comments:

Dianne said...

Feel better.

I love Patrick Dempsey, I plan on renting Made of Honor

Not too much of a Sparks fan. I'm still stuck in 'The Notebook'. I have this thing about always finishing books. I've read a ton of others and that one just stares at me accusedly.

Add some soup to your list and lots of rest.

Mental P Mama said...

Feel better! And get some rest!

Jo said...

Oh, gosh feel better soon! It's that time of year, isn't it? I am almost fanaatic about washing my hands when I come in from being out in public.

I love Nicholas Sparks. Two of my favorite movies were from his books - "A Walk to Remember" and "The Notebook".

And I agree, Marine should be spelled with a capital "M"!

Hilary said...

Hope you're tip-top by the time you're reading your comments.

Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marty said...

Of course Marine should always be spelled with a CAPITAL "M" - period - the end - no excuse - no discussion!

Also I hope that you get better soon!

Maggie May said...

Hope you are much better by now.

Employee No. 3699 said...

I'm sorry you're feeling under the weather, but congrats on your acceptance in the Masters Program!

On a side note, I like your new pic. I think you look a little like Joan Cusack!

RiverPoet said...

Dianne - Toss aside "The Notebook" and see the movie instead. The acting in the movie was inspired. Wonderful flick. I won't say the same for "Message in a Bottle." In that case, the book was better.

MPM - Thanks! I've been sleeping most of the day today.

Josie - Yes, I wash my hands all the time, too. But it only takes that one wayward germ to get me. And it got me! I'll be better soon...

Hilary - 50% better, but still working on it, thanks!

Marty - You would think everyone would spell it with a capital M. Marines kick some serious butt!

Maggie - Thanks! I'm starting to come out of it.

3699 - That's a first! I don't think I look anything like Joan C, but I suppose I can see that from the picture. In the old days, with contact lenses and long dark hair, I was often compared to Susan Sarandon. Time hasn't been good to me!

Peace - D