Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Blog-iversary!

Today is the big day. It’s my first anniversary of blogging here at Poetic License, and it’s my 300th post. Pretty amazing, no?

My blog started out as an extension of the blogging I did on the Medifast website during my weight loss phase from November 8, 2006 – July 4, 2007. I tried to continue blogging on there after losing my weight, but eventually I lost interest. In the end, there is only so much you can say about maintaining weight loss. People on the site want to hear your big numbers for the week or support you in a bad week of weight loss. For the most part, I’ve kept off the weight that I set out to lose nearly 2 years ago. I’ve put a few back on, but not much. Enough to go up exactly one pant size, but that’s it, and I’m working on losing that.

In the past year I’ve gone all over the map. At first I shied away from politics, and I should really stick to that policy. Opinions are like –er- armpits, you know; everyone has them and they usually stink – mine included. However, I’ve been as sucked into this whirlwind year of politics as much as anyone. Guilty as charged.

I’ve gone from one or two readers who already knew me to a bunch of them who don’t. At last tally, I had 34 subscribers, here at the License, and that is simply astounding to me. Though I share photos, I’m not a photo blogger. Don’t even have a great camera! Though I’ve shared some of my poetry, my prose gets a bigger hit. I’ve told you about my dreams, about my pets, about my family, my heartbreaks, my victories, my faith (from Buddhism back to Christianity), and my history. In turn, you’ve opened up a whole world for me! I have readers (and those whom I read) in places I’ve never been, and you take me there. I've even met a couple of you!

You’ve given me badges and bling (see them all under the “Bling” heading in my sidebar), and I’ve participated in a few of your memes, which should give you a glimpse into the weirdness in my head! You’ve also been there for me during bad days in which migraines have left me feeling like a washed-up shell of my former self, when I’ve felt so isolated that it is as though no one else exists in the world, when I was on my knees begging God for strength. You are there. You give me a reason to fight on, to get up and kick that migraine’s butt.

You’ve watched my nest swell with one extra (my daughter) and then gradually empty completely. You’ve heard the tales of my decision to go silver, as I experienced one of the longest-lasting itches of my entire life (over a month) after a dye job. You were there when I had a scare with a lump in my breast. You’ve even defined what this blog is about for me – midlife. Sometimes we aren’t as aware of the center of our angst as are those who listen to us. Thank you for being my mirror.

I’ve gone from places of grief to places of great joy and everywhere in-between. I’d love to encourage you to check out the list I’ve placed on my sidebar that lists a few of my past posts for those who haven’t been here for very long. If you’ve been reading lately, you know that I am going to take some of what I learned from my own grieving process and pour it into compassion for others who are dying or who have or are losing a loved one. I want that to be my gift – perhaps my final gift – to the world.

One of the posts you might not have seen is My Life in Six Words, in which I tried the Smith Magazine challenge of writing my biography in six short words. I leave you with this six word summation of my year of blogging....


Blessed beyond belief; love you all!

Peace - D

24 comments:

Sandy said...

Congratulations! I happen to really like your blog!

Liquid said...

Congratulations!
Your blog is real. I like that.

You rock!

Mental P Mama said...

Woot! Happy Blogoversary!

Hilary said...

Hip hip hooray! Happy Blogiversary to you! Thanks for giving me good stuff to read.

the walking man said...

RP...not much more to say other than the road for all it's twists and turns always leads forward. Your blog is always a look into the real.

Hilary said...

You're a joy to know. I have no idea how I happened upon your blog or you on mine, but I'm sure glad we've connected. The blogosphere is a wonder. Happy Anniversary.

Lavinia said...

Riverpoet, nothing could keep me from your blog, because each time I pop over here, I never know what I'll find. No matter the topic, you write with eloquence, grace, and wit.

This post sums it all up....great and happy 300th.

I am approaching that milestone soon. hmmmmm.

By the way, what is all this talk about your 'final gift'. Heavens, that sounds a little bit ominous. Some reassurance, please?!

San said...

Cheers, Doris! To a highly enjoyable blog, a year rich with experience, and a fabulous lady!

And that's a powerful six-word summation. That's what I call pared down to glorious essentials.

May the year you're beginning be radiant!

Moannie said...

Happy Anniversary...It's a blog well done...bit of a pun there but you know David's humour rubs off on one.
I love your blog [we are joined, or whatever the technical term is]
I love your honesty and your courage. Many more please.

Moannie said...

Happy Anniversary...It's a blog well done...bit of a pun there but you know David's humour rubs off on one.
I love your blog [we are joined, or whatever the technical term is]
I love your honesty and your courage. Many more please.

tysdaddy said...

Way to go! Here's to another great year . . .

Daryl said...

Here's to you, Doris, a fabulous caring woman ...I continue to enjoy visiting you tho not always as often as I would like ..

Happy Blogversary!

:-Daryl

Jay said...

Congratulations! You do a great job at blogging - but you already know I love your blog. ;)

But I, too, am disturbed by the 'final gift' thing, and the 'others who are dying' ... please tell me you're not about to leave us? I'm not ready to let you go yet!

*Bites nails*

RiverPoet said...

Note to all: "...I am going to take some of what I learned from my own grieving process and pour it into compassion for others who are dying or who have or are losing a loved one. I want that to be my gift – perhaps my final gift – to the world..."

Ah...let me explain. I'm not dying! :-) "Others who are dying" means just what it says. Other people who happen to be dying and need palliative care. I'm not in that group yet! And as for it being my final gift, I simply mean that I hope this career will take me through to my own inevitable end. That's all.

No worries! :-D

D

RiverPoet said...

Sandy - Thanks! I like yours, too. Sometimes it is the only funny one I see all day!

Liquid - I'm glad you like my blog and see it as "real." That's definitely what I've aimed for.

MPM - Thanks! Have a crudite!

Hilary - Thanks for being a reader! Without you all, would I still be here?

WM/Mark - Yours, also, is often an imaginative look at the road ahead. Peace, my friend.

Hilary - I think we found each other through David. He's been a source of many of my readers. He should get some special blogiverse community builder award or something!

Lavinia - Look no further for reassurance than my previous comment, but thanks for looking out for me! And thanks for being a regular reader!

San - Thanks so much. You have been an inspiration for me. I love your paintings and have started dabbling a little myself, just as a hobby, mind you. I doubt I could ever have your skill.

Moannie - Thanks for showing up day after day. I love my readers, and I especially love your blog, my dear.

Tysdaddy/Brian - Thanks! May we all have many more!

Daryl - Thanks! And I love it when you pop over, however often that is. Cheers!

Jay - See my last comment. I'm not going anywhere! Simply a turn of ambiguous words, my dear. You're stuck with me ;-)

Peace - D

SandyCarlson said...

Back atcha with six:

You are a blessing, dear friend.

And one for the road:

Thanks.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Blogging is indeed a massively encouraging community, introducing us to many walks of life. How we are able to share our own stories with people we do not know is a wonderful gift we all have.

Congratulations.

Crystal Jigsaw xx

Ruth D~ said...

Happy blogiversary and many, many more.

Marty said...

I am very glad to have found your blog.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Next time we get together for coffee we will have to toast Tatiana for bringing us together! I'm glad we found each other!!

RiverPoet said...

SandyC - Aw, thanks! You are a blessing, too. I just love your blog!

CJ - Thanks! You are so right.

Ruth D - Thank you!

Marty - Ditto!

NATUI - Amen to that! God rest her soul...

Peace - D

Anne said...

Hello! I just found your blog, so I have some catching up to do, but happy anniversary!

michael said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://www.infrared-sauna-spot.info

RiverPoet said...

Ruth - I'm glad you like the blog, and I certainly appreciate your visits!

Peace - D