Friday, October 3, 2008

A Trip into Town - Part I

Today I'm going to do something completely different; I'm going into Bethesda to visit the office and my co-workers there.

When I first started working for the company, I commuted in from Frederick each day, a grueling 30 mile commute that could easily take an hour, two hours - three hours one day when there was an accident (no kidding). When hubby worked in Bethesda, too, we were able to hop into the HOV lane halfway to work, else it took much longer. At about that same point, I could pick up the Metro. If I took the Marc train from Frederick to the Metro, it was going to take an hour-and-a-half anyway I sliced it.

There was no good, easy way to get to work. Add to that the fact that I had my neck rebuilt (in early 2006), lost my Mom, and began having complicated migraines (etc.), I had to find another option. I thought about getting a job closer to home, but they don't pay as well nor are they plentiful. The technical writer jobs tend to be clustered with the technology companies -- near D.C.

Because 37% of the company works from home offices, I put together a proposal that presented the facts of my job, the facts of the technology available, and the facts of why I was right for a telecommuting position. It was an impressive report, and they accepted it. I started working from home in late 2006. I haven't looked back (well, maybe once when I was having a tough week, but I corrected).

It's been a little over a year since I've seen my comrades. Our user conference the week before Labor Day '07 was the last time we crossed paths. So today will be interesting. I think. I plan to take along my camera to grab a few snapshots of my buddies. We'll probably all go out to lunch at one of the fabulous restaurants down there, and I may stroll around the shops for a little while before heading back to Frederick.

Tonight hubby will be home from his business trip, and we'll be so glad to see him (the dogs and I, that is)! He has to leave again on Sunday, but I'm hoping to feel well all weekend so that we can do some fun things while he's home. This next trip will last 2 weeks. We have plenty of experience at being apart, but we still don't like it. I'm very much looking forward to having him home.

Peace - D

14 comments:

Akelamalu said...

It must be great to work from home, though nice to catch up with your colleagues occasionally.

I hope you ARE well all weekend so you and your man can enjoy some quality time together x

Mental P Mama said...

Have a wonderful day! And I wish you both a great weekend;)

Jo said...

I must admit that one of the things I enjoy about my dull little job is the camaraderie with my co-workers. We are like a family, albeit dysfunctional at times. I think I would miss them if I worked from home.

Have a great visit with your co-workers, and share your photos with us!

I hope you and hubby have a great weekend.

Cheers!

Daryl said...

Enjoy the day with co-workers, once a year would work for me too, and I hope the weekend is filled with fun stuff that you and Hub can enjoy together ...

:-Daryl

San said...

That sounds like a fun day--catching up with the gang, going to the shops, and having a fabulous lunch.

And, enjoy the weekend with your man!

nola said...

Sounds like you'll be spending a lot of time with people you enjoy. Do have a great weekend!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Have a wonderful day and I think it's so wonderful your company lets you telecommute. So many corporations just don't get it. :)

Dianne said...

I hope you had a great day and I hope the weekend is a blast :)

Lavinia said...

Wow, a whole year without seeing your colleaugues...

Your old commute sounded killer. So good that you are able to work from home and avoid that *hell*.

Your weekend sounds like it is going to be so good with your hubby home....I am sending you lotsa lotsa 'feel good' vibes so that you can do all the fun things you want to!

RiverPoet said...

Akela - Thanks, dear. I am well, but the weekend is so short.

Mental P - Thanks!!

Jo - I forgot my doggone camera! :-( But we had a wonderful lunch together.

Daryl - The weekend is flying by. The next time we're having a weekend together, there will be no furniture moving involved (see next post).

San - The day in Bethesda was wonderful, but like the weekend, it was fleeting. I will see them at this year's holiday party, though, which is a swanky affair at a big country club in DC.

Nola - The people are what it's all about, yes? It has been wonderful.

CMGD - Hopefully you'll get to do the same one day, although you may actually want to go back to the office for adult interaction!

Dianne - It was and is wonderful!

Lavinia - Yes, even one commute (yesterday) was a killer. I was sore! But today I am having a great day. Thanks for the feel good vibes!

Peace - D

Ruth D~ said...

Working from home seems ideal in many ways, but sort of lonely too. good that you get to visit now and then. I have a friend, and online friend, who lives in Frederick. We were just down in that general area in May when my husband had an OCS reunion at Camp LeJeune.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Not that we don't love us some Pete, but here is your formal invite to get your behind down here for dinner one of the weekends he is gone. I'd love to ply you with wine and good food.

SandyCarlson said...

I hope that worked out well. It's amazing how little direct, real human contact is necessary to make the world go down. Some days that's scary; some days that's good.

Natarajaprabhu said...

Hi friends,
Let me know how to search jobs in Chennai , please forward the same.