Tuesday, October 7, 2008

When the Men Leave, Everything Goes to Hell!


The title of this post is a direct quote from my next-door neighbor who is a Marine Corps wife (as I used to be). She said this when my son and I saw her outside on our way out to dinner. I told her that he was over helping me fix the furnace. (It's was in the 30s last night). I had to laugh, because not only is she right but she echoed what my best friend told me on the phone last week. "You wait," she said, having been a military member and wife herself, "Now that he's gone, something will break, but you will fix it and survive!"

Please note that I spent many, many days, weeks, and months away from my husband (and sometimes away from my kids, too), because if he wasn't enlisted or traveling with business, I was. This is the first time since I got sick in 2006 that we have been apart like this, though, and I have to admit that it weighs heavily on my mind...all those "what ifs."

Aye, aye, aye. Should I blame my buddy for all this? I'm thinking about it!
  1. The pilot light went out on the furnace - again. It has happened before and probably will happen again. It's getting frustrating.
  2. My battery in the MacBook Pro is no longer taking a charge. The battery is a replacement and is less than 90 days old.
  3. At least one animal has been sick (but is better now, thanks).
  4. The desktop PC I picked up on Friday from my home office was all ready to go...except they forgot to tell me that they had put a password on it. It took me until 2 p.m. on Monday to finally get the right password from the help desk. Grr.
So if you wondered where I had been, why the posts were getting more sparse, let's just say that I don't have as much time on my hands as I thought I would with the boys out of the house. I haven't started the sample chapter for my security engineering book; I did, however, get the thumbs up on the outline from the senior VP at the company on Friday. That made it worth the trip right there. I forgot to get pictures while I was at HQ, but it's okay because I just enjoyed spending lunchtime with my comrades in tech comm (all except one, who questioned why I would want to go back to college...that's for another post)....

If all goes well, I'll not have any more emergencies or strange happenings around here and can not only get back to blogging but can get that sample chapter ready to send off. I've never had so many problems getting a book off the ground, but I truly believe that everything happens in its own time. This book will be the same.

And so will all the posts that follow this one.

On the 20th of this month, I will hit my first blog-iversary. I am also only 8 posts from hitting 300. THREE HUNDRED! I think it would be cool for the twain to meet, don't you? Maybe that's what I'll shoot for.

Wish me luck on getting this ship back on course. Maybe if I stopped watching the stock ticker or the debates/political mud-slinging, I might get something done! :-)

Peace - D

12 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

I hope you have a peaceful time and can finish that chapter!

Lavinia said...

Hi Riverpoet. Wow, you *have* been bombarded on all sides lately, haven't you! Thanks for your comment on my latest post...

I think its the fates taking revenge and yanking me down to earth after the nice time I had with the captain. Reality slapping me in the face and all that.

*Geez* hasn't reality already levelled enough at us in our forty-odd years?

Here's hoping all the wrinkles in your life get smoothed out real soon...

Employee No. 3699 said...

You've had a few glitches, but you didn't mention that you weren't feeling well. I'm assuming you've been okay as of late, and at least that's a good thing. I hope I'm not wrong.

RiverPoet said...

Sandy - Thanks! I'll be working on it.

Lavinia - Let's hope the fates are done with both of us! (And I never thought I'd be so happy to say I don't have a lot of money in the stock market...boy would I be depressed if that were the case!)

3699 - Bingo! You're right. I have been feeling very well lately and I am counting that blessing daily! Thanks for asking.

Peace - D

Mental P Mama said...

When it rains it pours. You are the poster child for that right now. Sending only sunny skies your way;)

Daryl said...

What MPM said ...

:-Daryl

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Sending you peace and pilot light vibes.

Dianne said...

my son (and now his wife) and I share a 2 family house. my son works nights. this is the first house I've ever owned.

when we first moved in something would happen within an hour of Jeff leaving for work.

one night I had smoke in the kitchen and a flood in the basement. I kept telling myself the flood would put out the fire.

It is amazing how resourceful we are :)

although peace and quiet is preferable - and that is what I wish for you

the walking man said...

If you have a forced air gas furnace RP...look at the controls and you'll see a white wire that runs to a penis looking affair stuck in the flame of the pilot light(no comment about my descriptive powers please). This is called a thermal couple and is readily available at any hardware store.

Follow the package directions to replace it. (a very simple job), turn the gas off at the same control panel you started at then wait 5 minutes before re-lighting.

RiverPoet said...

MPM & Daryl - Thank you, my friends! I'm sure everything's going to be just fine...

NATUI - Heh, pilot light vibes...I love it!

Dianne - That's hilarious! The flood would put out the fire... I'm glad your house is still standing. I've had basement floods before. They stole most of my family photos from me. Just awful.

WM - I could kiss you! Thank you! The HVAC contractor told me that I should have the thermocouple replaced because chances are good this will continue to happen. The problem is, he'll charge me about $300. Sounds like this is a job that my son could do for me this weekend! Thank you so much! (And yes, your descriptive skills are without match. The only one who ever came close was NATUI with her photo essay of penis-shaped mushrooms growing in her son's diaper pail while she was on an extended vacation...and of course, hubby forgot to clean the pail).

Peace - D

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Any time Ty was out of town, I would take the time to make my favorite dishes that he hates. And, inevitably, something would break/leak/cease to function. Stupid houses...

the walking man said...

RP...ten minutes and about 15 dollars. You're welcome.