Monday, November 3, 2008

A Hackle-Raising Day

It started off like any ordinary day. I woke up just before 7 and took my morning medication. I drank some extra water and shook off the fogginess. Heading downstairs is a ritual for me. I put on my warm robe, tuck my cell phone into a pocket, grab my laptop from my office and head down to make my coffee. I check emails and what have you while my coffee is brewing.

But as I walked to my office, I saw a little blob out of the corner of my eye; it was in the middle of the floor of my budding exercise room.

"Ick, Bodhi!" I grumbled, grabbing some tissue.

And then I noticed that the consistency was loose -- not usually a good sign. And then I noticed it had bright red blood in it. After locating the carpet cleaner and scrubbing up that spot, I went back to my room and turned on a light. More little dabs of blood on the rug. I scrubbed those up, too. I knew that I'd have to watch both of the dogs. As Lily is getting older, blood in the stool couldn't be a good sign. With Bodhi, who eats everything, it could have been something he ate (like the twigs and mulch he's fond of).

All was quiet for awhile. No one seemed sick. They both were hungry and thirsty. Could it have been a fluke? I went about my morning.

And then I went down to put a load of laundry in the wash and found another pile, fresher this time. There was clearly bloody mucus on top. (Sorry if you're eating while reading this!) I let Bodhi outside while I cleaned up the latest mess. He started passing pure blood. I grabbed the phone and called hubby, who was on his way home from an appointment. He rushed home and we all headed to the vet.

Bodhi has roundworms!!! He should not have gotten these while taking his Interceptor, so as it turns out the company that makes that product will reimburse us for the vet costs. (Nice....but I guess this was just one of those things). We were there for an hour or so, naturally, and I was a frazzled mess. After everything that has happened with dogs in the last couple of years, I can quickly become overwhelmed with fear during what often turns out to be nothing. I came home and had a tea. Calmed myself down and administered Bodhi's first dose of gut-calming meds (too bad they didn't have one for me, too!). He is now also on a special food for a week or so while he has his deworming powder to kill the little parasites.

No walkies for us today, and it appears that he probably got this from scooping up someone else's poo. That's the most common way for dogs to get the worms, and we have an awful lot of pet owners around here who either (a) let their dogs roam loose and/or (b) don't pick up the poo. And now my poor Bodhi is ill from being an overly-curious and snacky guy.

And my generally happy, friendly guy? Met up with a dog at least 3x his size in the lobby, a large Belgian dog, looked like a Belgian Sheepdog. Soon he had started with the hackles and the growling and a very threatening posture. We figured it was because he was feeling so lousy and just wanted to go home. The man with the Belgian dog couldn't wait to pay and be gone, at which time Bodhi returned to his lovable self. (There was something a tad smug in hubby's face after that, as if to say, "Ha, my dog's tougher than your dog!")

We made it home and all is well. Hopefully I won't start my day tomorrow by scrubbing up poo. I have one appointment tomorrow and then I'll be heading to the ballot box. And after that? I hope that all the people in my life who are on the other side of this debate will just settle down. I am really 100% over the whole thing. It isn't that I don't care, but I'm tired of people trying to convince me to change my mind with information that is incomplete or wrong.

May we have a less stressful day tomorrow (and a big celebration tomorrow night)...D

17 comments:

Maggie May said...

All this talk of poo!
Well I hope that is the end of the runs and blood and round worms!
Happy Days!

Marty said...

Yikes, poor dog - hope he feels better soon!

Mental P Mama said...

I may re-read this the next time I'm tempted to snack on something! Poor Bodhi, and tomorrow cannot get here fast enough.

Lavinia said...

You went through the wringer on the dog front today! What an ordeal, but alls well that ends well? It could have been a lot worse than roundworms. ONe of my pet peeves is people who don't stoop and scoop. I'm so conscientious and it annoys me no end to see dog owners blithely look the other way while their dogs soil the landscape.... and then some poor unsuspecting soul stepping in it!

Anyway, as for the election, I really think you all ought to put a maximum number of days on it and keep that number lower rather than higher. It's awful the way it goes on and on and on.....Here in Canada, our average campaign elections last no more than 45 days. Our longest in history was 74 days, and I think that was decades ago. THere is a limit to how much campaigning the populace can be subjected to!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh, Lordy! I know what you mean about getting stress over animal issues. Our first two cats were sick more than well and died young, so anytime anything happens to either of our two current cats, I get squirrely.

Pet on him from me. Glad all is well.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I was so relieved to get to the part that it was "only" roundworms. I know it probably doesn't feel that way, but I am so glad it is fixable. Whew.

CrazyCath said...

I would be in a mess if my pet started passing blood to. I think you handled it really well and I am glad Bodhi is on the mend.

Hope the election works out for America they way you guys want it to, although inevitably some will be disappointed.

Shrinky said...

Oh sweetie, I can imagine the panic you felt. My Jake weighs nigh on 100lbs, yet I still managed to lift him into the car when he was oozing blood. Thankfully, like your poochie, it was nowhere near as bad as looked.. but I'll never forget the terror in my gut.

This election of yours even has wall to wall coverage over here (sigh).

Moannie said...

Every time I pick up Milou's daily dooos, I think, why did I want a dog? Lasts all of ten seconds.

Get better soon Bodhi

RiverPoet said...

Maggie - Sorry about all the potty talk...it was truly awful...

Marty - He seems to be feeling better now, so I think he'll be ok.

MPM - It's tomorrow!!! Yay! We should know in about 12 hours, yes?

Lavinia - I agree with you. After the madness of this election, I think some reform is in order. Bodhi is better today, thanks.

CMGD - So you know what I mean! Once you've been through it, it's always a nerve-shattering experience when another one gets sick.

NATUI - Oh yes, it was a relief for me, too. He is on the mend and loves getting the canned food.

Cath - Thanks! He is doing better today.

Shrinky - I'll count on getting that superhuman strength should I ever need to lift one of these heavy pups. They weigh 53 and 60 lbs (Bodhi and Lily, respectively). More than I'm supposed to lift, but I don't think I'd care.

Good news - it's election day and this is almost over!

Moannie - I know what you mean! I hate picking up poo, so I got one of those grabbers. It's so nice. I don't even have to bend over. I just grab it with a squeeze of the handle and carry it home to bag it up.

peace - D

jay said...

Oh, poor Bodhi! Unusual to get such a severe reaction to roundworms, but he must have a very sensitive stomach. :(

I'm with you on people not picking up. I can't tell you the number of times people have yelled at me when they see our dogs start to squat, without waiting to see if we pick up or not. We always do. *Sigh*

And The Princess picked up some cooked chicken bones while out a while back and OH didn't get them off her before she chewed and swallowed. She's OK, but it was a worrying few days. I WISH people would be more careful!!

I hope Bodhi is feeling much better soon!

Daryl said...

I hope you are both feeling better today

:-Daryl

Employee No. 3699 said...

I'm glad it wasn't anything serious with Bodhi and that he's getting better.

I'm also glad the dang stupid emails that have been going around about the candidates will stop.

Akelamalu said...

I hope Bodhi is feeling better today and you haven't had any poo to clean up. x

Ruth D~ said...

How scary to see the blood. I'm so glad it was just worms. Fixable. Phew.

Hilary said...

Aww poor pup. Blood is always scary. I hope he (and you) feel better by now.

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

I had a very similar experience with my Labrador ayear or so ago... and she too loves to snack on other dogs and cats poo - yuck! I have to always look in my garden now for any "little presents" left from the neighbour's cat before she laps it up... I don't know why but that is her favourite delicacy! double yuck!!