Monday, December 8, 2008

Happy Bodhi Day


I'll bet you didn't know that Bodhi had his own day, did you? Truthfully, I learned about this from one of my recent commenters who informed me that there is a Buddhist holiday in December (today) called Bodhi Day. It is to celebrate the day on which Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha) achieved enlightenment and presented the Four Noble Truths to the world. Somehow during my year-and-a-half of dabbling in Tibetan Buddhism, I didn't learn a thing about "Bodhi Day."

Anyway, here it is December 8th, Bodhi Day, and I figured you'd be expecting a picture. Here is our little Sanatana Bodhisattva (Bodhi) who was actually born July 2, 2007. I'm not sure if he's reached enlightenment yet, but I suspect he'd be much more mellow if he had. Besides, a bodhisattva is a being who postpones his own enlightenment in order to help others reach theirs, in other words a very compassionate being.

Doesn't he look monk-like in this picture? There is nothing he loves more than being wrapped in a blankie...or maybe a tricivara (three-part monastic robe).

Happy Bodhi Day!

(I am in the post-phase of my bout with head pain, but I am on the downhill slide. Thank you for your well wishes yesterday...)

Peace - D

9 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Hope you're feeling better now.

Maggie May said...

Sorry to hear about your migraine..... I am a sufferer so understand the devasating effects of it to everyone in the household.
Hope Bohdi enjoyed his day!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

You should be at the head bruised phase by now...and left woozie and relieved I do hope it has lifted.

I hav ebeen looking for excedrin on the net, as it used to be the only counter med that helped. I think its about time I went back and got something dedicated to migraines. They are so debilitating.

Have a quiet relaxed day to build your strength again.

the walking man said...

In a posture of deep meditation, Bhodi, resides underneath the Banyan contemplating the enlightenment of all dogkind.

Moannie said...

Happy Bhoday. Milou has his day everyday...blooming dog rules the roost.
Be better soon.

Mental P Mama said...

He looks pretty enlightened to me....and I hope his mommy is feeling much better.

® ♫ The Brit ♪ ® said...

Hi River Poet,
Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well... I hope you are feeling better now, sending lots of positive get-well energy for you "through the internet airways"

And as for Bodhi, how cute is he?! he's beautiful!!!! But he knows that already eh?! He looks a real character all dressed up in his blankie!!

Get Well Soon Dear Friend! x

SandyCarlson said...

Happy Bodhi day to you, too! God bless, and may we all find the enlightenment we seek.

RiverPoet said...

David - Thanks, yes! Nice to see you.

Maggie - It's always Bodhi's day. He's rotten. Yes, the migraines do effect everyone. I didn't get out of bed Sunday at all.

FFF - Gosh, I wish I could take Excedrin, but it has aspirin in it. That is very dangerous for me to take. "Head bruised phase" is a very apt name for the phase I was in. Well put!

WM/Mark - Indeed, my friend. As I wrote to you, that gave me a chuckle!

Moannie - Yes, Bodhi rules the roost, too. He's driving me nuts lately, though!

MPM - He did have a rather serene pose going, didn't he?

Brit - I've missed you! I'll be back around at your blog soon. Thanks for stopping in.

SandyC - Amen to that. Thanks for dropping in...

Peace - D