Friday, December 19, 2008

What's in Store for '09?

Believe it or not, 2009 is shaping up to be a banner year for me. I'd better just rest up and get ready. Here I am at 46 years old, getting ready to make some big life changes again. This should be a wake-up call to those of you out there who may think that mid-life is a time of slowing down. For me, it certainly hasn't been. Here's what's going on for me in '09 (so far):
  • Jan 10: Attend a meeting with Wags for Hope to start the process to certify Lily to go on Hospice visits with me.
  • Jan 18: Grad School Orientation
  • Jan 20: Classes Start
  • February: Direct Service Training for Hospice, after which I can start volunteering 1-4 hours per week directly with patients
  • May: First semester of classes end, and I'll turn 47
In addition, I'm taking on another blog, called "Stuck in the Middle". This blog will be done specifically for my local newspaper, the Frederick News Post. They have staff bloggers and what are called "citizen bloggers." A feature news story in last week's paper led me to talking with the editor. He loved my current blogs and invited me to join up. So I'll be writing weekly or semi-weekly about mid-life fun and games for the paper. Pretty cool, yes? Of course, I plan to keep up this blog and occasionally post to Bidden or Not Bidden, but I like the idea of expanding my writing horizons.

Speaking of expanding, I'm now doing book reviews for The Internet Review of Books. You can check out my reviews as well as those of many other fine reviewers there, but you may want to start by looking at my review of Dewey (the library cat).

I had to laugh last night when talking about all of this with my hubby. I said, "People who think writing is glamorous or well-paid just don't know the drill." Quite often we are unpaid or at least underpaid for our efforts. Even artists make more than we do. Unless you're Stephen King, James Patterson, or Nicholas Sparks (who has a beautiful house in NC!), you just don't make squat. The thing about writing is - you do it because you love it, because you can't imagine not doing it, because you must. For me, it's how I process my world.

So far, the only writing which has paid off for me is the writing that I do for my day job - technical writing. Speaking of which, I should be doing more of it, because I have a book proposal that I need to start shopping after the holidays.

Yes, I'm probably overdoing it, but I like to be busy. If I have too much time on my hands, I think too much and that leads to a bit of depression for me. And when you don't sleep much, it helps to have things to do. As Sam Elliot so prophetically said in Roadhouse, "I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead." (One of my favorite hokey movies!)

By the way, remember the "Seven Things" meme I did a while back? My number one item I wanted to do was to learn to knit. Guess what? I did it. I went to the store and bought one of those "Teach Yourself to Knit" kits and taught myself. I made a chenille scarf for myself and another one for my sister as part of her Christmas gift. Of course there is so much more to learn. I haven't tried the cable stitch yet, for example, and I'm trying to figure out the doggone pattern for the baby blanket I want to knit for my niece's baby. BUT the thing is, I did it. Now I just have to tick off the rest of those items!

So yes, it's shaping up to be a busy year. Despite being an empty-nester, a work-from-home writer, and a person who deals with chronic pain, I'm a girl who likes to be busy - always. Gradually I'm coming to the realization that though my body may have slowed down, my mind hasn't. And until that day on which I cross to the "other side", I'll just keep on going. Because life? It was meant to be lived.

Embrace it!

Peace - D

10 comments:

Moannie said...

Well it looks as if I have the honour of wishing you a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR...after having a wonderful christmas. Good luck with all your new tasks...going to busy, you betcha!

Mental P Mama said...

You are a real inspiration. I need to get my 48 year old self out there!

Maggie May said...

Well done with the knitting!
Also for all the things you are going to do in 2009!
Good for you! Good to keep busy!

Akelamalu said...

Well done teaching yourself to knit! I used to knit a lot when the boys were young, it can become obsessive but it's a great feeling when you complete something. :)

From what you say you've got planned there's no way you're slowing down!

San said...

Wow, Doris, you sound all fired up! 2009 is going to be busy but rich with opportunity. Congratulations on the new blogging gig and the book review gig--that is really exciting!

And I do hope you will be blogging about your experiences working for hospice. Such important work you'll be doing.

To a soulful New Year!

Sandy said...

Great post! I dropped in on your book review and left a comment.

RiverPoet said...

Moannie - Oh yeah! Hang on to your hat. It's going to be a wild ride!

MPM - I can't wait to hear what your 48-year-old self finds to do!

Maggie - Oh, how I wish we could sit down for a knitting session together. I imagine I could learn a lot from you.

Akela - It is a great feeling to finish a project. Then my hands look around for another one!

San - I'm sure that I'll have some interesting observations from my hospice work - but I will just have to be very careful to maintain privacy practices.

Sandy - Thanks! I saw your comment, and I really hope you enjoy "Dewey"!

Peace - D

the walking man said...

RP...With all that is ahead and behind may your feet find the steady pace as you stay the course.

RiverPoet said...

Mark - Thanks my friend. I know that they will...

Peace - D

Daryl said...

You go girl and keep on going .. you inspire old farts like me!

:-Daryl