Saturday, February 28, 2009

Young at Heart


It was easy to get a parking spot because I arrived forty-five minutes early. The doors to the auditorium were propped open, light spilling out onto the cement staircases leading up to the entry. As I reached the top step, the aroma of popcorn wafted over me and lured me in. Staccato pops, like tiny firecrackers, echoed in the hall as the glass cube filled with buttery blossoms.

Over the next half hour, the energy in the auditorium soared as group after group of teens and twenty-somethings rushed in, dressed in jeans, flip-flops, hoodies, and caps. The noise level rose, as well, as they giggled, shrieked, guffawed, shouted, and chatted each other up before the movie started. Tiny light squares floated throughout the auditorium like electronic fireflies as text messages flew back and forth.

I sat in a center row against a wall, perfectly placed to watch "Twilight", a free screening for students and guests. Munching on my popcorn, I blended into the crowd and settled into the cushy blue seat as the lights were turned down. No advertisements, no coming attractions, just straight into the movie and all the fun.

Though I went alone, it was a fun diversion that kept me out well past my bedtime. For just a little while, I was a young college student, gathering for a late-night campus event. What is age anyway? Just an annoying little number.

Peace - D

And oh-so-cool J over at Occasionally J bestowed this award on me for writing a blog that shows great attitude/gratitude! I figured I'd patch it onto this post, as I certainly felt grateful to be a part of the big college "gang" Friday night!

21 comments:

J said...

My copy of twilight is a very dodgy one purchased in saigon - i'm looking forward to watching it on one where people's faces don't look like they're melting!
i have something for you at my blog

Lorna said...

I never heard of Twilight. I better Google it..........

It sounds like you were at peace there, having fun.

Lorna

Maggie May said...

Yes...... what IS age anyway? You are as young as you feel.
Sounds like you are having fun!
Haven't seen that film. Will have to look out fro it.

Daryl said...

Another well deserved acknowledgment... and I am sure the movie was fun ... was the popcorn homemade or did you get it there?

Crystal Jigsaw said...

The things one can get up to when a student!

CJ xx

Mental P Mama said...

How much fun!

Akelamalu said...

You're right, age is just a number. In my case a rather large number! ;)

Twilight is all the rage here too at the moment though I haven't seen the film or read the books.

jay said...

And how was the movie? I've all read the books except the last (because it's only out in hardback and my shoulder wouldn't like it), and I'm not sure I can get behind the 'Edward' in the movie, from what I've seen of him. He's not my idea of Edward at all!

That's the problem with reading the books first, isn't it?

Congrats on the award! You deserve it! :)

septembermom said...

Isn't it fun to sit back and relax in a dark movie theater? You're one of the crowd, but you also get to have your own kind of "personal space" as you slide down in your seat and get into the movie. Sounds like a fun night out :)

Lavinia said...

Sounds like a fun night, solo or not. I haven't seen Twilight or read the book. I find the young man to be attractive but I probably won't see this movie unless my daughter rents it and I catch glimpses as I walk past the tv.

Congratulations on your award by the way!

Cloudia said...

What fun!
Now I want to go to grad school.
Aloha-

San said...

There's something about a popcorn-scented theater that makes me just settle in and feel so in my element, there in the darkness.

And that must have been even more fun, surrounded by all of that young energy.

Love the lemonade stand.

SandyCarlson said...

You deserve that award as well as a night out. I had thought of going to the movies alone this weekend but didn't. Sometimes I would just love to bask in that kind of solitude. I am glad you had time to yourself.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Glad you had a night out! Nothing like a little fresh air to clear the senses!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

I love this post...it reminds me of that feeling deep within ourselves that lurks, waiting to be let out.

The inner 'ME' ... as opposed to mini me...a couple of hours spent with yourself, being just that yourself, not a mum, wife, friend, sister, daughter, just BE. Bliss for a while

the walking man said...

Maybe I should finish my associates degree eh?...Nahhh>

But forever young comes to mind.

tysdaddy said...

So? What did you think of the movie?!

RiverPoet said...

For those who asked, the movie wasn't so great. Rob Pattinson didn't fit my idea of Edward. The story in the movie didn't measure up to how it played out in the book. I was glad I had read the book first, or I would have been pretty lost.

And then again...maybe I was just tired?

Peace - D

Moannie said...

I'm so glad that you are enjoying student life and regaining that feeling of yourself, as an island; boy, such a long time since I felt that.

Syd said...

I still feel like a student with the work that I do. Every day is something new and challenging.

Woman in a Window said...

Venturing out alone like that, it sounds wonderful and for me, long overdue. thanks