Monday, November 30, 2009

The Scream


When Munch painted The Scream, what was he thinking of? What had unsettled his mind? Some say he painted such pessimistic scenes because he lost his parents, a brother, and a sister when he was young. I can relate to this painting now in a way in which I could not before.

Though I have studied thanatology, my daughter's death continues to wear away at me. There is no way in which we can make sense of such an occurrence. She was 25.

In the car on the way home from a short outing Saturday, one thing led to another and soon I was saying, "I lost my daughter!" Then the only sound I could make was a scream.

And another, and another. I lost my mind for a little bit there and let it all come out. For a few minutes, I thought we might be going to the hospital to check me into the psych ward, but eventually the screaming passed.

Sometimes all we can do when facing such a thing is to scream. Munch knew it. I know it. Deep down, you know it, too.

Peace - D

7 comments:

Maggie May said...

Yes....... that picture and title just about sums things up.
I posted recently about my youngest granddaughter who drew a screaming person and I put it on my blog because it just about summed up my feelings at the time.

Let it out. No good bottling it up.
Empathising with your pain. X

Nuts in May

The Things We Carried said...

This a taste of death that can't be swallowed. To even imagine you screaming these words makes my eyes sting and my heart ache for you... How I wish we could ease the anguish of those whose children die before they do. I am so sorry...

Syd said...

I think that there is that primal scream of anguish in each of us. I have felt like screaming before but have not done it. I have wondered why not. Such a terrible loss for you.

Sandi McBride said...

I never got his work...my kids art work was better than anything I ever saw done by Munch...guess it just goes to show that worth, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder...
Sandi

Ruth D~ said...

And for such a reason someone invented primal scream therapy. What your doing feels insane, but it's not... it's healing, somehow. Painful though!

Jennifer H said...

Scream whenever you need to...and write, write, write.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

I love Muench, and I also love Klimt... Screaming is good, and I found (on losing my much beloved dad too early) that the shower is sometimes a good place to sob and the water helps ease out and wash away the sobs... I think it might also amplify things, but then the car was probably a pretty good speaker/amplifier for you... Take care x