Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What makes you happy?

I should be sleeping, but I'm not. I shouldn't be on the computer, but I am. It's all because I started thinking about this book that's on my nightstand, called "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.

Before grad school got into full swing for the semester, I managed to scarf down a couple of chapters and the high-level summary. The premise is that this woman decided to find out what it takes to make her happy and do those things for a solid year. Now, we're not talking Nobel Prize research or discovery here - just some simple changes in life to make it better. Being the literary snob that I am (want to know whats on my nightstand--see the list at the bottom of this post), I had started to pick apart the merits (or lack thereof) of this book long before I had given it a fair shake. I sort of plopped it back into the pile and said something that a marketing manager I worked with used to say, "Fluff. Marshmallow fluff!"

This is the kind of book that The Mommies read. It's the kind that Desperate Housewives read. I dredged up all sorts of generalizations in my mind.

But as I was lying here tonight, in the dark, hoping that there were no stinkbugs lurking in my bed (I've found them in places as diverse as the box of tissues), hoping that my shoulder would stop aching from the overuse of my mouse hand caused by being constantly in work/school/writing mode, I was trying to think happy thoughts.

Isn't that what Ms. Rubin was doing, I thought? Isn't that what the world needs more of? More happy thoughts, less texting behind the wheel. More happy thoughts, less road rage. More happy thoughts, fewer go-to-hell looks in the bank line.

So I flipped on the light and fired off this post, shoulder pain or no, just to tell you that I'm going to try to do my little part. Even when I don't feel like it, I'm going to try to squeeze in a few happy thoughts here and there. If I can make my mind a better, happier place, maybe it will begin to spill over everywhere. Now that's a virus that's worth spreading!

Be happy, folks. G'night. (Incidentally, this is my first post ever to use the keyword "happiness".)

Peace - D

On my nightstand:
  • A Big Little Life - Dean Koontz (about his beloved Golden Retriever, Trixie)
  • The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin
  • Like Me - Chely Wright (finished, and it was a good read)
  • Usability and Internationalization of Information Technology - Nuray Aykin
  • Lesbian Couples: A Guide to Creating Healthy Relationships - Marilyn Clunis / Dorsey Green
  • Spurious Coin: A History of Science, Management, and Technical Writing - B. Longo
  • Technopoly - Neil Postman

7 comments:

the walking man said...

I will pass on happy and be content with being content.

Be Content

Mental P Mama said...

Doris...you have to check out Byron Katie...she was on Rosie O'Donnell's radio show this summer, and she is amazing: http://www.byronkatie.com/

http://www.thework.com/index.php

I think her approach is so unique and freeing....

Daryl said...

Peace ... then happiness ... xo

Moannie said...

If your having trouble falling to sleep try Balzac, I guarrantee he'll send you to the land of nod in ten minutes...oh the minutae.

Syd said...

I am glad to read the word happiness here. It made me smile. Life really is good and being happy in life makes it even better.

Maggie May said...

Happy thoughts are good. Hoping that you can conjure up masses of them from the times when life was running more smoothly.
Being thankful for the things you have and conjuring up what you would miss most if you didn't have it (present situation) is always a good way of making you realise how much you actually do have.
I have to coax my way into this Pollyanna way of thinking..... but it works!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

SLI said...

Your Blog is very nice and informative, and articles are neatly drafted, you can check some information on my site . Please also visit my site
Regards