Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Still Smiling, but...

You know how I've gone back and forth with doctors for the last few years about these neurological problems? I've lost track what round this is, but there is now a symptom they can't ignore.

My diagnostic test at the urologist this morning was pretty conclusive that my nerves are not getting a signal to my muscles. The nerve function on my bladder itself was a flat line. My abdominal muscles contract but my bladder muscles don't contract. The nerves also don't tell me that I need to go. So now instead of catheterizing three times a day, I need to do it more often. If I like drinking the amount of water I drink, I have to cath about five times a day to prevent my bladder from getting any more stretched out than it already is. It's not great news, but it is a way to keep myself healthier. I've had fewer fevers since starting this routine, so my body is happier that I'm doing this.

My urologist told me to go see my neurologist before I come back to see her for a follow-up. She said there are some options we may be able to explore, including a nerve stimulation implant, but that right now, she just wants me to be properly diagnosed and treated for the underlying problem, as she calls it.

We get up, we keep going, we keep smiling.

And I still am....

Peace - D

6 comments:

Daryl said...

GAH .. nerves are so important and yet we use the term 'nervy' as a slur.. go figure.

Mental P Mama said...

Wow. At least you are getting some answers....

Maggie May said...

I'm sorry that you are having all this problem. It is a bind to have to do it so often. However, you never know just what might be in the pipeline for future treatments and cures. We must always keep hoping.
Always expect the unexpected to happen.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Syd said...

I like your up beat attitude. It is so refreshing. I hear a lot of people who complain about their health. Sometimes we just have to deal with it.

the walking man said...

I have a neuro stimulator for a different reason but they do work kiddo.

SOUL said...

sorry to hear about the problems D -- but it sounds like the implant may be a big help .. hope it does work. (did they mention what caused this? )

anyhow- i got sad for you while reading -- until i read THIS:

"These frail bodies we walk around in fail us sometimes, but our spirits remain the same. We get up, we keep going, we keep smiling"

i absolutely LOVE that! i love that about you. because you do live that way. life can be and has been cruel to you for a while now-- and it will get better.. because i hear the strength you have inside you just screaming to make a change. to make a difference. it sounds to me like the time is now. you're ready. not to so much move on. but yeh-- to move forward.

ready? let's go!

hugs ! XO