Monday, March 21, 2011

Just Sleeping




This is post 3 of 30 about us. I know that I won't run out of things to say, because it is all evolving so beautifully with us. I want you to get to know Kim the way I do. She's a wonderful person, and I'm so lucky to have met her.

----------------


The first time we slept together, well, we just SLEPT. She was coming off of one of her closing shifts at the clinic and showed up at my house around 1:30. We were both exhausted, and as I've pointed out before, she was healing up from surgery. She still had the bandages on and a drain, but we were quickly getting to the point at which we couldn't get enough time together. Despite her stopping by before and/or after work for a marathon kiss, we wanted to talk and talk. We wanted to gaze into each others' eyes.

So on the way to my house, she stopped at Target and picked up something to sleep in. She had gone in to work totally unprepared to sleep anywhere but in her own bed. That night, she moved in a toothbrush, toothpaste, and pajamas -- but we really did just sleep. We must have talked until 3 a.m., and then she wrapped me in her arms and we fell asleep. To this day, I can't stand to fall asleep without her arms being around me. It just feels so wonderful.

The next morning she left at 6 a.m. and headed home to get her sons up at 7. The nanny was perfectly capable of getting them up, dressed, fed, and off to school (where Thomas goes, but not yet Justin). However, Kim felt it was too much on the nanny, because of course the nanny was calling the shots. She was really good at that.

I slept on for a couple of hours, but I'm sure that Kim didn't get much rest at all. And she was back to the clinic by 5 p.m. We went on like this for awhile, and both of us felt like we were burning the candle at both ends. It didn't surprise me, then, when she began to run fevers and start to look run down. I asked several times if she had seen her surgeon.

She slept over at the house a couple of times during the next week, to be with me and to try to get some rest, but one night she had a particularly hard time. She told me that part of the incision had opened up and drained, and that she had packed it (she is a doctor, after all, and believed she could just treat herself). A couple of days later, she had an appointment for a follow-up with the surgeon. I went with her, because I wanted to be there for her and because the little one was going along with us.

I saw the look on the surgeon's face, and she started talking about wound care. Appointments were being made and a wound vac was being ordered. When the surgeon stepped out of the room, Kim looked at me and reached out her hand. She pulled me to her and I saw the wound for the first time. Her face registered fear -- fear that I would run from the building, from her, from everything we were becoming to each other -- but once again she found out that I don't scare easily.

I looked into her eyes and said, "Oh honey! Have you been dealing with this all by yourself?"

We both had tears in our eyes, but we knew from that moment that what we had isn't something you find every day. It's a true, mature, steady, and compassionate love. Nothing put me off about any of it, and I assured the surgeon that Kim and I would indeed be at the wound care clinic the appointed day. Kim had introduced me as her "other half," even though we had only been together for a little over two weeks. I knew it was the beginning of forever, and so did she.

Without completely embarrassing her, I'll continue the story of how we've grown through our individual and shared health issues as the story continues. We figure if a relationship can start out this way, with so much illness and strife but with such incredible love, it's bound to last. A love like this just doesn't come along every day.

Peace - D

2 comments:

Daryl said...

Make sure she gets proper rest! I suspect she's a lot more tired and needing of healing sleep than she lets on .. xo

Syd said...

I hope that she takes care of herself so she will be around.